These Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Bombs are the easiest way to make a vegan peanut butter cup. They are gluten and dairy free and can be made in minutes. Why salted? Because salt may be the only thing that goes better with chocolate than peanut butter.
One of my favorite candies from childhood were Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. They were the thing that I hoped for the most while trick-or-treating, and I was so excited to find the egg-shaped ones in my Easter basket. When I first became vegan, Justin’s brand peanut butter cups were not yet invented, so had to create my own.
I recently found these awesome ice cube trays at Big Lots. (I’m sure that you can find them or something similar in other stores as well). These are a great to make a small bite size treat, and I love the silicon bottom so that you can pop them out easily.
Salted Chocolate Peanut Butter Bombs
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips
- 2 TBS refined Coconut Oil or vegan Margarine
- ½ cup of peanut butter
- A sprinkle of kosher salt
- Step 1 Put chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl
- Step 2 Microwave on high for 1 minute (or melt in a double boiler)
- Step 3 Add oil and microwave for 30 more seconds and then stir well
- Step 4 Heat longer if needed to make it shinny and melted enough to pour. (You can add a little more oil if needed to get the right consistency).
- Step 5 Fill each compartment about 1/3 way full
- Step 6 Stir with a knife to coat the edges of each one
- Step 7 Spoon in about ¾ teaspoon in the middle of each one
- Step 8 Tap the ice cube tray a few times to get the peanut butter flat.
- Step 9 Top each one with the remaining chocolate
- Step 10 Sprinkle with kosher salt if desired
- Step 11 Put in freezer for about ½ hour
- Step 12 Carefully run hot water over the back of the ice cube tray and then pop them out.
- Step 13 Store in the fridge or freezer
These are the perfect bit sized chocolate peanut butter fix. I try to keep them on hand for those chocolate craving, but my kids eat them almost as fast as I can make them.
Tip for parents:
These are great ways to hide vitamins or supplements that are hard to get your kids to take. Just mix the powdered or crushed up pill into the peanut butter. Of course, make sure that it is safe to take out of the caplet or crush up – some medicine shouldn’t be taken that way. Make sure to put 1 full dose in each bomb.
Pin it for later: