This creamy vegan gluten free butternut squash soup is a fall favorite! It’s dairy and nut free, but so creamy and delicious you won’t be able to get enough!
I haven’t met anyone yet that doesn’t love this soup. This soup has even won over my husband who thought that he hated squash. With only a few basic ingredients, this creamy vegan gluten free butternut squash soup is packed with nutrients!
I have learned that making creamy puréed soups works great for kids. Since it is smooth and creamy, most kids like the texture and don’t get picky, taking out the things in the soup that they don’t like.
The trickiest part of making this soup is peeling and cutting the squash. Since it is very hard, I cook the squash with the skin on first to make it soft and easier to work with. You can do this in 2 ways, steam it in an Instant Pot for 10 minutes or bake it in the oven at 300 F for about 30 minutes. Either way works well to soften it and make it very easy to peel and cut.
To make the soup, simply sauté an onion, add spices and broth, then boil the cubed squash in the broth until it becomes very soft. (I like the Not Chick’n cubes to give it a wonderful savory flavor, but you can use and vegetable broth or just more salt).
Add choice of plant based milk and purée with an immersion blender. (I like to use a metal stick blender to puree hot soups right in the pot. I find that the safest and easiest. However, you can also transfer it in small amounts to a blender – make sure to be careful not to overfill the blender or it could spill out and burn you).
This soup tastes great the next day too! Make it ahead and have it ready to heat and serve.
Creamy Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 TBS olive oil (optional)
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sage or poultry seasoning
- 4 cups water
- 1 Not Chick'n broth cube or (replace water with vegetable broth and omit salt)
- 2 cups PLAIN plant based milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Precook squash to soften. (Place in oven at 300 for 30 min. or put in instant pot on steam for 10 minutes)
- Step 2 Peel and cut squash into about 1-inch cubes.
- Step 3 Dice onion and sauté on low heat in the sauce pan in the olive oil.
- Step 4 Sprinkle with salt and herbs and sauté slowly until translucent.
- Step 5 Add the water and broth cube (or vegetable broth) and the diced squash.
- Step 6 Simmer for about 15 minutes until squash is very soft. (This will vary depending on how much you precooked the squash and the size of the cubes that you cut it into).
- Step 7 Add plant based milk of choice like plain soy milk.
- Step 8 Puree with an immersion blender until very smooth and creamy. (Or if you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer to a blender in small amounts and blend – be careful not to overfill or contents can overflow and burn you).
- Step 9 Salt and pepper to taste.
Pin the Creamy Vegan Gluten Free Butternut Squash Soup recipe for later: