This Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup is vegan, gluten free, and the ultimate comfort food. Combining 3 delicious things- creamy food, mushrooms, and soup, how can you go wrong?
When I was a kid, my favorite thing to eat was Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup. It has been over 17 years since I have had a can, but I can easily say this dairy free alternative is much better than Campbell’s!
If you are a mushroom lover like I am, you won’t be able to get enough of this recipe! I am the only one in my house that loves mushrooms, so I usually make this for lunch when I am the only one home. It makes about 4 serving, but I have to stop myself from eating the whole pot in one sitting.
Any mushroom that you like will work well. My favorite ones to use for this recipe are crimini, also known as baby bellas. You can use any plain vegan milk that you like. It will come out well with all of them. For this recipe, I prefer the West Soy brand soy milk. They actually sell it at The Dollar Tree of all places – for that’s right, a dollar! It is a little waterier and less sweet than most other plain soy milks, so I don’t prefer it for drinking, but it works great for savory cooking!
Dairy Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 8 oz. package of mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1 TBS canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups plain milk of choice (I like the Westsoy soy milk)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 cup cold water
- Step 1 Chop the mushrooms into small bit sized pieces.
- Step 2 Put oil in the bottom of the pan and sauté the mushrooms in the oil on medium heat.
- Step 3 Sprinkle the salt over the mushrooms.
- Step 4 Cook mushrooms until they get darker and release their juices.
- Step 5 Add milk, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- Step 6 Heat until the soup just barely begins to bubble then reduce the heat to low.
- Step 7 In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch and water. Stir until it dissolves completely.
- Step 8 Pour the cornstarch mixture into the hot soup stirring constantly.
- Step 9 Continue to heat the soup on low until it thickens and just starts to bubble.
- Step 10 Turn off heat and serve.
This cream of mushroom soup can be thickened one of 2 ways. The easiest way is to use corn starch and cold water. (This method also makes it gluten free). The other way it to make a rue out of ¼ cup of oil and ¼ cup of flour. Heat the oil and flour in a sauce pan until it gets bubbly and starts to brown slightly then slowly add the broth to the rue, stirring constantly, until it thickens. The method using the rue adds, gluten and fat, but it also adds a rich creaminess to the soup!
Want to make it more of a meal? Add these amazing cheesy bread sticks and you have a hearty meal!
Pin it for later!