Vegan Tom Yum and Tom Kha Thai Soups are super quick and easy to make using this recipe! Tom Yum is the spicy broth based soup that you get at a Thai restaurant. If you add coconut milk, it is called Tom Kha.
I love Thai food! It’s my favorite food to go out for because I feel like it is something that I can’t make at home as good as they do at the restaurants. However, this soup is incredibly similar to the Vegan Tom Yum at my favorite Thai place.
I was first introduced to Tom Yum soup in college. I was sick with a bad cold and a friend suggested that we go get some spicy Tom Yum. After a few sips of the soup, my sinuses cleared and I could breathe again! I now eat a bowl of it, as spicy as I can handle, every time I get a cold!
While shopping at my local Asian market, I came across this soup base. I picked it up, longingly wishing it was vegan. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the vegan symbol on it! I was worried that my local store would stop caring it and I wouldn’t be able to find it again. I was thrilled to find it for sale on Amazon too!
This Thai Tom Yum Soup Base makes this soup so simple and easy without searching stores for a list of special ingredients! Simply boil water, add the soup mix, vegetables and protein of your choice, and serve over rice noodles. It is one of the meals that my family eats on those nights that I am short on time and need a really quick and easy meal!
Our favorite way to eat this soup is with coconut milk (Tom Kha). It mellows out the spiciness and gives it a creamy full flavor! This soup is spicy! I never use the full amount of soup base that it says to on the package, unless I feel like an extremely spicy soup. Add the seasoning in small amounts until it has reached the level of spiciness that you like.
It is delicious topped with fresh cilantro, bean sprouts, and a squeeze of lime! It makes a great meal for dinner parties! Serve with extra soup mix, and toppings on the side so that everyone can adjust to their desired spice level and can get creative with their own toppings! Serve summer rolls on the side and you have a meal!
Easy Vegan Tom Yum and Tom Kha Thai
- 8 cups of water
- ¼ - ½ cup of Tom Yum broth base
- 1 onion peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 can of coconut milk or coconut cream for a richer soup (optional)
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 lbs. of firm tofu pressed and cubed (or package of vegan chick’n strips)
- 1 cup of mushrooms sliced or any other veggie of choice (optional)
- 8 oz. of rice noodles cooked according to package directions
- Step 1 Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a large soup pot.
- Step 2 Add ¼ cup of soup base, protein of choice, and the onion (and mushrooms if desired) to the water.
- Step 3 Let soup simmer for about 15 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Step 4 While the soup simmers, cook the rice noodles according to package directions and set aside.
- Step 5 Add a can of coconut milk (optional) and halved cherry tomatoes and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Step 6 Serve over rice noodles
- Step 7 Garnish with cilantro, a squeeze of lime, and bean sprouts if desired.
Pin Vegan Tom Yum and Tom Kha soup for later: