Garlic and Greens is the best way to make kale, spinach, chard, or any of your favorite greens. If you are a fan of garlic, you won’t be able to get enough when you cook them this way!
Start off will a few TBS of olive oil at the bottom of a skillet. Warm the oil on low and throw in a ton of crushed garlic cloves and let them warm in the oil. This softens the garlic and infuses the oil with garlic. YUM!
You can throw in chopped spinach, collard greens, chard, or beet greens, turn up the heat a little and let them wilt in the oil. Kale is my favorite green to use in this dish, however, it takes just one more step. If using kale, fist blanch the kale in boiling water for about 3 minutes, then use tongs or a slotted spoon to transfer it to the skillet. Blanching it first makes it soft and tender and allows it to absorb the garlic oil. You can still mix in other greens, but you don’t need to blanch them first.
The greens can be a side dish or altered to turn it into a full meal! If you want it to be more substantial, crumble a pound of firm tofu into the garlic and greens and just cook a little longer. Toss in a pound of pasta and you have a meal. Save the cooking water from blanching the kale and cook your pasta in it. Slightly undercook your pasta and then add it to the greens with about ¾ cup of the cooking water. You will have a pasta dish that you can’t stop eating! (I usually use the gluten free quinoa and brown rice pasta from Trader Joes, but any pasta you choose will work).
Garlic and Greens
- 2-5 TBS olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 4- 5 cups of greens of choice like kale, spinach, or chard
- 1 lbs. of tofu (optional)
- 1 lbs. of pasta (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Put the olive oil in a skillet. (Use a little more if you are going to add tofu and pasta and a little less for only greens).
- Step 2 Crush the garlic with the side of a large knife (don’t use a press)
- Step 3 Warm the oil on low and throw in the crushed garlic
- Step 4 Let garlic warm and soften for about 8 minutes
- Step 5 Add greens of choice, increase heat to medium low and cook until wilted about 3 more minutes.
- Step 6 If using Kale, blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes and then add to garlic and oil
- Step 7 Add crumbled tofu if desired cook for about 5 minutes
- Step 8 Add slightly undercooked pasta and about ¾ cup of cooking water to the skillet.
- Step 9 Mix thoroughly, add salt and pepper to taste and serve
Pin it for later: