Tempeh Bacon is a delicious, gluten free, vegan bacon alternative! Eat it for breakfast, put it in a BLT or on a veggie burger! Most recipes that call for bacon can be swapped with this healthy, plant based, tempeh bacon!
For those of you that have never heard of tempeh, it is made from soybeans that have been fermented and pressed into a dense, high protein block. It’s similar to tofu in that it is made from soybeans, but it is less processed, and it has more protein and fiber than tofu plus beneficial probiotics. For more information and health benefits of tempeh, click here.
The store-bought tempeh bacon is delicious, but a little pricey, so it was something that I only bought occasionally. It is usually about a dollar more for the bacon flavored tempeh than the plain unflavored one, so I was pretty sure that I could figure out a marinade that gave the bacon flavor to save a dollar every time I made it.
I played around with the ingredients until I came up with the perfect tempeh bacon marinade that is easy to make with only a few ingredients. If you are organized, make the marinade up the night before, and let the tempeh sit in it over night This way the flavors will soak deep into the tempeh. If you don’t do this, no worries, if you let it soak up the marinade for at least 15 minutes, it still has a good flavor.
Simply mix Braggs Liquid Aminios, Liquid Smoke, nutritional yeast, and salt in a flat-bottomed dish and add the raw tempeh. Let sit for at least 15 minutes or marinate covered in the fridge overnight.
Fry in a small amount of oil (I love my iron skillet for frying – nothing ever sticks and I don’t have to worry about the chemicals in non-stick cookware).
- 3 TBS Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (tamari or soy sauce will also work)
- 2 TBS liquid smoke
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast
- 1 TBS refined coconut oil or canola oil (optional - for a richer flavor)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 block of tempeh
- 1 tsp neutral tasting oil for frying – like refined coconut or canola
- Step 1 Mix the Bragg’s, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, and oil, and salt in a flat-bottomed container and stir with a fork.
- Step 2 Slice the tempeh into ¼ inch thick slices and lay flat in the marinade.
- Step 3 Flip over to coat all sides and let it sit for 15 minutes (or cover and refrigerate overnight).
- Step 4 Fry on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until they darken and crisp up slightly.
- Step 5 Serve as you would bacon.
Serve for as you would bacon for breakfast or on a sandwich like a BLT! It’s great as a side with a Tofu Scramble!
Pin the tempeh bacon recipe for later: