This easy vegan jerky is gluten free, full of flavor, and packed with plant protein! It works great to pack in school lunches or carry along in your bag for a quick and filling snack. Perfect for hiking and backpacking too! (Wow! I would have loved to have these when I was backpacking the Appalachian Trail 18 years ago! Instead, I had a few packs of dehydrated tofu, which was not nearly as tasty as this stuff).
My family loves the store-bought vegan jerky, but it gets expensive to buy it regularly. Then we discovered Butler Soy Curls! These are made from dehydrated soy much like textured vegetable protein, except for they are in large pieces about the size of chicken strips. When rehydrated, they have the texture of meat.
When I first started using Butler Soy Curls, I knew that there had to be a way to make them into jerky. I tested out a bunch of different flavor combinations until my family finally agreed that the recipe was perfect!
It couldn’t be much easier to make this jerky! Simply make a marinade with spices and boiling water then dump in the soy curls to soak up the flavor.
Once the soy curls are rehydrated, put them on a cookie sheet and place them in the oven at 275° F for about an hour until they become chewy and the texture of jerky.
You can dehydrate them a little more or a little less depending on your taste. I like them slightly dry and crispy, my kids like them soft and chewy.
Tip: They will continue to dehydrate slightly once you take them out of the oven while they are cooling.
I make a large batch of them at least once or twice a week. My kids love them in their school lunch! Once they cool, I store them in a sealed jar or put them in snack sized bags, so they are ready to grab and go. They are also great as car food on a long trips or just to take along anywhere that it is hard to find a good source of vegan protein.
Easy Vegan Jerky
- 1 TBS Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or tamari
- 1 TBS black strap molasses
- 1 TBS liquid smoke
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne (more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup canola or other neutral tasting oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 cups of dry Butler Soy Curls
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 275 F.
- Step 2 Put all the ingredients except the water and soy curls into a bowl.
- Step 3 Add boiling water and then stir well.
- Step 4 Immediately add the soy curls stirring them to coat with the marinade.
- Step 5 Let sit for about a minute before stirring them again.
- Step 6 Continue to do this for about 4-5 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and soy curls are soft.
- Step 7 Drain off any remaining liquid and spread soy curls onto a cookie sheet.
- Step 8 Bake at 275° F for 1 hour flip every 15 minutes.
Since they are still slightly moist, I store them in the fridge to make sure that they stay fresh. I am not sure how long that they stay good for since my family always eats them all in the first few days.
I go through so many soy curls now we had to start buying them by the 12-pound box! If they don’t sell them at your local stores, you can find them on Amazon or order them directly from the Butler Foods website.
Pin the Easy Vegan Jerky recipe for later:
Want another meal idea using Butler Soy Curls? Try this amazing Green Chile Chick’n Stew…