Southwest Rainbow Salad is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, and soy free – but most important, it’s delicious! It’s a dish that you can put your own twist on and make your own. You can layer it and make it fancy, or just dump everything into a bowl and mix. The kids like the name – it’s more enticing than “big bowl of beans and vegetables!” Who doesn’t like rainbows?
I started making this years ago when I lived in Albuquerque, New Mexico. My husband and I loved the southwestern flavors and needed a meal that we could easily pack for our lunches. When my husband was in his 20s, there was no filling him up – the amount that he could eat was seriously crazy! He wanted something with complex carbohydrates, proteins and a little fat that he could grab as a snack or pack in his lunch. I came up with this salad and I would make a huge bowl of it every Sunday to get us through the first half of the week.
Southwest Rainbow Salad
- 4 cups cooked grain – short grain brown rice, quinoa, or barley
- 1 can of black bean, drained, and rinsed
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained, and rinsed
- 1 2 cups of frozen corn
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 2 green onion stalks chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1-2 TBS red wine vinegar (optional)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp. ground cumin
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Step 1 Put all of the grain, beans, and vegetables into a bowl and mix
- Step 2 Mix all of the spices in the olive oil and then drizzle over the salad
- Step 3 Mix well
- Step 4 Serve or keep in an airtight container in the fridge
Because I like to make a huge bowl of this and use it for lunches or snacks for days, this recipe makes a lot of food! Feel free to cut it in half if it will be too much for you!
Southwest Rainbow Salad works great for a side dish or to bring to pot lucks. Everyone that I have shared this recipe with loves it and have told me years later that it is still a staple in their house! Please, make it your own by putting in things that you love like avocado, cilantro, a squeeze of lime, some red onion. That is part of what makes this salad fun!
Let me know your favorite things to add to this salad!
Pin it for later: