Easy, Cheesy, Vegan Pesto Hummus is a creamy delicious dip or spread that you can whip up in minutes! It makes the perfect gluten free and vegan dip or spread! Use it on sandwiches or wraps to make a filling meal. If you like the taste of basil, you will love this hummus!
We are big fans of basil in my house, so we use a lot of pesto! One day, I made a fresh batch of pesto and was about to wash out the food processor to make a batch of hummus, when I thought, “Pesto in my hummus sounds pretty good!” I just put in a can of chickpeas, more pesto, and some nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy flavor, and my Easy, Cheesy, Vegan Pesto Hummus was born!
My kids love this hummus and they will eat a whole plate of fresh veggies dipped in it! Full of flavor, it also gives sandwiches and veggie wraps a satisfying creaminess and added protein!
Top it with a dollop of extra pesto and serve it as a fancy dip at your next party or just eat it with a bowl of chips while you watch TV.
Easy Cheesy Vegan Pesto Hummus
- 1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or white beans drained and rinsed (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¼ cup pesto (Or a large handful of basil leaves, a small clove of garlic, and 1 TBS of olive oil).
- 1 TSB. Nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp salt (optional)
- 3-4 TBS water (or aqua fava)
- Step 1 Put chickpeas, pesto, nutritional yeast and salt in a food processor.
- Step 2 Blend for about 30 seconds, then add water 1 TSB at a time blending until desired consistency.
- Step 3 Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
*If you want to use dried chickpeas instead of caned, that work great as well. Cook them in until they are very soft, an instant pot or a pressure cooker works great for this, then allow them to cool a little in the pot of cooking water before using. Save this cooking water! It is called aquafaba and you can use this cooking water in the hummus or save it for later to use in your favorite Aquafina recipe. Here’s a few for inspiration…
If you want to make your own vegan pesto, try my easy pesto recipe! You will never need to buy pesto again!
Pin it for later: