Linguini with clam sauce that is 100% vegan and has the taste and texture of the real thing! I know that it’s hard to believe, but if you like the taste of seafood, you must try this recipe!
Before going vegan, I really liked seafood and it is something that I have missed. I loved going to an Italian restaurant and ordering some buttery linguini and clam sauce.
A few years ago, my husband and I were eating at a local Chinese restaurant. The owner happened to be walking past when we were ordering and overheard that we were vegan. He stopped and said, “You’re vegan? I’ll make you something special!” He brought us a delicious dish made with king mushrooms. I had never had them before, and I couldn’t get over how much the texture was like seafood. A few weeks later, I was shopping in an Asian market and noticed the mushrooms for sale. I knew that I could create some great mock seafood recipes from these amazing mushrooms!
The mushrooms are a little hard to find, but if you live near a major city, they are in most Asian grocery stores. They are truly huge!
Comprised of mostly stem, each mushroom is dense and “meaty” with a mild flavor. I cut off the top cap because it has a strong flavor, and the bottom inch or so of the stem because the texture is too chewy, then cut the rest into small cubes. For the Linguini and clam sauce, I start with my homemade vegan butter. It tastes very similar to real butter and gives it that authentic taste, but you can use regular vegan margarine too. (Subscribers get the butter recipe emailed to them). I then sauté the cubed mushrooms in the butter in my iron skillet and sprinkle with salt. When the mushrooms release their juices, add kelp powder. This can be purchased in many major grocery stores or you can order it here. This gives the mushrooms the clam flavor. You can adjust the amount to suit your taste. Finally, add the garlic and parsley and cook for another minute or two. Toss in the cooked pasta, mix well, and you’re done!
Vegan Linguini with Clam Sauce
- 1 lbs. linguini pasta
- 2 king mushrooms diced
- ½ cup vegan butter
- 2 tsp kelp powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Boil water and cook linguini according to package directions.
- Step 2 While the pasta is boiling, wash king mushroom, cut off the cap an about 1 ½ inches off the end.
- Step 3 Then dice the large stem portion of the mushroom into small cubes.
- Step 4 Melt vegan butter on low in a large skillet and add mushrooms and salt.
- Step 5 Sauté on medium low until the mushrooms start to release their water.
- Step 6 Add the kelp powder, minced garlic, and parsley and cook for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Step 7 Add the drained and rinsed pasta to the skillet and mix well.
- Step 8 Salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
This is one of the easiest pasta sauces that you can make! The whole thing only takes about 20 minute, but tastes like it came from a fancy Italian restaurant!
Pin it for later: