This gluten free and vegan sausage pizza is surprisingly similar to the real thing, you may even fool some of your omni friends with this recipe! Better yet, it is simple and easy, you can whip it up so fast that you will want it on your pizza every time.
Vegan sausage pizza may sound like an oxymoron, but it can really happen! If sausage was one of your favorite pizza topping before giving up meat, you can finally have it again.
To make this vegan sausage, simply boil water, add some simple spices, and rehydrate textured vegetable protein (TVP) in the broth that you made.
Let it soak up the flavors for a few minutes and then sprinkle it on your pizza. No need to precook it. It will cook along with the pizza.
To make the pizza, use your favorite pizza crust, or buy a premade one from the store to make it fast and easy. Since my son needs to be gluten free, I like to use the frozen gluten free crust at Trader Joe’s. When I plan ahead a little more, I also love this easy quinoa crust recipe from Simply Quinoa. (I usually double the quinoa crust recipe to make enough for my family of four).
You can use a can of any vegan pizza sauce that you like.
Top it with your favorite vegan cheese. (I use my homemade vegan cheese. The recipe will be coming out soon in my new e-book)! Then sprinkle with the vegan sausage topping! Bake at 425 F for about 12-15 minutes until the crust is cooked and the cheese is melted. (I usually put the oven to broil for the last 2 minutes of the cooking to get the cheese melty and the sausage slight crispy.
Vegan Sausage Pizza
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 TBS Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce (soy sauce may not be gluten free)
- 1 TBS canola or mild tasting oil- for a richer flavor (optional)
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- Dash of cayenne
- ½ cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- Pizza crust
- Pizza sauce
- Vegan Cheese
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Step 2 Boil the water.
- Step 3 In a bowl, add all the ingredients except for TVP and stir well.
- Step 4 Add TVP, stir, and then let it sit for about 2 minutes before stirring it again.
- Step 5 Place the pizza crust on a cookie sheet or pizza stone.
- Step 6 Spread vegan pizza sauce evenly over the dough.
- Step 7 Top with your favorite vegan cheese.
- Step 8 Sprinkle with the sausage toppings.
- Step 9 Bake at 425 F until the pizza is done. Usually about 12-15 minutes.
- Step 10 Turn the oven to broil for the last 2 minutes of baking to melt the cheese and crisp up the sausage.
This recipe is sure to be a favorite with the whole family!
Pin the Vegan Sausage Pizza recipe for later:
There are so many great ways to use TVP! Here are 2 other favorites!