Vegan macaroni salad! Yum! Wacky Macky is a vegan, kid friendly twist on traditional macaroni salad! Macaroni, vegan mayo, and Smart Dogs mixed together create a pasta salad that tastes surprisingly like a bologna sandwich!
It was born out of needing picnic food in a hurry. I looked in the fridge and noticed that we had some left-over macaroni and some Smart Dogs. I mixed the two together and added some van mayo and told that kids that we were going to have a really wacky lunch, but surprisingly we all loved it!
This vegan macaroni salad seems a little strange, and it sounds like kid food, but I must admit that it is actually a favorite of the whole family. However, just because it is vegan doesn’t mean that this is health food! This is deliciously creamy and quite fattening, so you may want to serve it as a side along with a healthy salad.
Wacky Macky – Vegan Kids’ Favorite Macaroni Salad!
- 1 package of macaroni of choice
- ¾ cup of vegan mayo
- 2 TBS yellow mustard
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 package of Smart Dogs (veggie dogs) cut into small pieces
- 1 stalk of celery chopped small (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Step 1 Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- Step 2 While the pasta is cooking, mix mayo, mustard, and garlic powder together.
- Step 3 Cut the cold Smart Dogs (and celery if desired) into bit sized pieces and mix in with the sauce.
- Step 4 Drain and rinse pasta well with cold water.
- Step 5 Mix all ingredients well and serve.
You can get everything for this macaroni salad at Trader Joes, however, if you need to use gluten free macaroni, I find it at Aldi or can use this from Amazon. You can also use any of the brown rice pastas that they sell at Trader Joes, they will all work well, they are just not macaroni shaped.
Feel free to add your own twist. Let me know how you like it! Take a picture of your creation and tag me at #thehiddenveggies so I can see yours too!
Pin it for later:
*Thank you for making purchases though my Amazon links. I receive a small commission on any purchases that you make at no extra charge to you. This allows me to continue to provide you with more free recipes. I only link to products that I personally use and love. Thanks!