Gluten-free vegan banana bread is a simple easy recipe that comes out well every time. It is gluten-free, vegan, and can be made soy-free too, yet bakes up light, moist, and perfect every time.
Banana bread is perfect for breakfast or a lazy afternoon snack. It fills up the house with a wonderful smell that will get the whole family gathered in the kitchen waiting for it to be done.
Do you have a few old bananas laying around?
Then you can get a loaf in the oven in minutes. It can be made with regular flour or any all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. My homemade all-purpose gluten-free flour recipe also works great! I have tried it with most of the major brands of gluten-free flour and it has come out well every time. If the mix doesn’t have xanthan gum in it already, I usually add a teaspoon to the recipe. This helps it to hold together better. It will be a thick sticky batter when it’s ready.
How do I make gluten-free vegan banana bread?
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
- Add oil and sugar and mix well.
- Put in the plant milk and vanilla and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and then stir until you have a thick batter.
- Spray a loaf pan with oil and pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes.
What if I want vegan banana muffins instead?
These can also be poured into greased muffin tins and made into muffins by reducing the cooking time to 25 min. (Banana muffins are a great grab and go breakfast on those busy mornings).
My family prefers the bread because they like to slice it and put my homemade vegan butter on it. (You will get the recipe emailed to you when you subscribe). It keeps well for a few days, but it almost never fully cools off before my family eats a whole loaf. It is one of those recipes that you may want to double so you have some for the next day.
Still have more bananas that you need to use up? Try my Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Bites!
Don’t forget to pin this gluten-free vegan banana bread recipe for later!
Vegan banana bread that bakes up perfect every time with or without gluten flour. Free of dairy, eggs, and nuts.
- 3 small overripe bananas (or 2 large)
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or refined coconut oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (It works will all major brands)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional- helps hold it together when using gluten-free flour)
- 1/8 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork.
Add oil and sugar and mix well.
Put in the plant milk and vanilla and mix.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and then stir until you have a thick batter.
Spray a loaf pan with oil and pour the batter into the pan.
Bake at 350°F (177° C) for 40 minutes.
To make vegan banana bread muffins:
- Pour into oiled muffin tins and cook for 25 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Add xanthan gum to gluten-free flour if it doesn't already contain it in the flour mix to help it from getting crumbly.
- Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- If you use my homemade gluten-free flour mix, be sure to pack down the flour when you measure it since it gets fluffy when you sift it. This will give you an accurate measurement.