These may just be the perfect gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes! This is a moist, chocolaty, not-too-sweet cupcake that you can whip up in minutes with no special ingredients or equipment.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, get more amazing vegan recipes that will satisfy your cravings!
This vegan cupcake recipe bakes up perfectly every time with regular wheat flour and most gluten-free flour mixes. You can also bake it in a cake pan for a perfectly moist vegan chocolate cake!
This tried-and-true recipe comes out perfect every time and is my go-to recipe for my gluten-free vegan kids' birthdays or special events.
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- They’re moist, fluffy, and delicious!
- They are free of dairy, eggs, and nuts and they come out great with either regular or gluten-free flour.
- You don’t need a mixer or special equipment, just a mixing bowl and a whisk!
- There is no need for egg replacers.
- You probably already have all the ingredients that you need in your pantry!
- You can easily make your own gluten-free flour that works perfectly for these cupcakes!
I’ve been making this vegan chocolate cake recipe for years and it never disappoints. It always comes out moist and delicious and I love that it’s not too sweet!
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix - Any all-purpose gluten-free flour mix will work well for these cupcakes.
- Sugar - for sweetness.
- Cocoa Powder - for a chocolate taste.
- Baking Soda - to make your cake rise.
- Salt - for flavor.
- Water - for moisture. - you can also use plant-based milk like soy milk or almond milk if you would like or swap the water out for coffee for a cafe mocha-flavored cake.
- Oil - for a rich moist cake. You can use any neutral flavored oil, like vegetable oil or canola oil, or swap it out for apple sauce if you want an oil-free cake.
- Vinegar - to interact with the baking soda and make your cake rise.
- Vanilla Extract - for flavor.
- Frosting - you can use any vegan frosting that you want. I like my chocolate vegan buttercream frosting with my homemade vegan butter or dairy-free whipped cream frosting on these cupcakes.
🥄 How to make gluten-free vegan chocolate cupcakes
Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 375° F.
Step 2 - Measure out all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
Step 3 - Measure out the wet ingredients in a separate mixing bowl (I like to use a large measuring container).
Step 4 - Stir with a whisk for about 30 seconds until all the batter is combined.
Step 5 - Pour it into cupcake liners or a greased and floured 8-inch round cake pan.
Step 6 - Bake cupcakes for about 20 minutes or cake for 25-28 minutes.
Note: This recipe works well in cake form too and this recipe will make either 12 cupcakes or one 9-inch round cake.
🎂 Choosing your frosting
You can use any frosting that you would like to top these cupcakes. My salted caramel frosting is rich, buttery, sweet, and salty which is a perfect combo with this chocolate cake.
My recipe for The Best Vegan Buttercream Frosting can be made in any flavor like chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry and is delicious on these cupcakes! I also love my whipped cream frosting recipe for a light and fluffy frosting.
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
📋 Gluten-free vegan cupcake recipe
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup oil (any neutral flavored oil will work)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Measure out all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Measure out the wet ingredient in a separate mixing bowl (I like to use a large measuring container).
- Stir with a whisk for about 30 seconds until all the batter is combined.
- Pour it into cupcake liners or a greased and floured 8 inch round cake pan.
- Bake cupcakes for about 20 minutes or if making a cake for 25-28 minutes.
- This recipe works well in cake form too. It will make either 12 cupcakes or one 8-inch round cake.
- If you want to make a double-layered cake, double the recipe.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!