This Vegan Gluten Free Carrot Cake with Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting are the most beautiful cupcakes that you can make yourself!
These Beautiful Berry Wedding Cupcakes simple to make, vegan, gluten free, egg free, dairy free and full of fruits and veggies. They are so pretty, people will think that they came rom a professional bakery.
These cupcakes are a mini version of my wedding cake. Fourteen years ago, when I was planning my wedding, vegan wedding cakes were nearly impossible to find, so I decided to bake my own. I knew that I could bake a cake, but I was not a cake decorator. The idea for the berries came from in an old Wilton’s cake decorating book. You simply just arrange pretty fruit on the top of each layer and then sprinkle crystalized sugar and edible glitter on the top of the fruit. It was easy enough that I could do it myself and not pay hundreds of dollars for a wedding cake. Instead I purchased the cake stand and rented 3 large tiered cake pans for each layer. The whole wedding cake cost about $50.
I wanted to do something special for my husband’s 40th birthday, so I recreated our wedding cake in cupcake form. They came out really fun and pretty.
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups of milk of choice - I use soy
- 3 cups grated or finely chopped carrots
- 4 cups flour (any gluten free flour mix works well)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp xanthium gum if making gluten free
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Step 2 Blend all liquid ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Step 3 Add carrots and stir
- Step 4 In a separate bowl add all dry ingredients and mix
- Step 5 Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ones
- Step 6 Mix for about 2 minutes until it turns to a smooth batter
- Step 7 Pour into lined cupcake tins or oiled cake pan
- Step 8 Bake cupcakes for 20-25 minutes or cake for about 35-40 minutes until golden and fork comes out clean
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 ½ cup of vegan butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Splash of soy milk if needed for consistency
- Pinch of salt
- Step 1 Let butter soften to room temperature
- Step 2 Cream butter with a mixer slowly adding ½ of the sugar
- Step 3 Add the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice and mix
- Step 4 Put in the remaining sugar mixing until fluffy
- Step 5 Add a splash of soy milk if too thick.
You could use any cake recipe that you would like, but my best no-fail vegan cake recipe is this gluten free vegan carrot cake, and I love cream cheese frosting! This is the recipe that I used for my wedding cake, because it is not fussy and it has come out perfect for me every time even with modifications to the recipe. I always use my own homemade butter recipe for the frostings that I make too. Earth Balance or other vegan margarines will work, but I love the real butter flavor from my homemade version. (Subscribers get the butter recipe emailed to them).
This is the sugar and edible glitter that I used. Most major cities have cake supply stores where you can find these items. Most craft store with a baking supplies also carry these. (I am not promoting CK products, it is just what I used for the glitter on these cupcakes).
You can use any pretty fruit or berries that you would like. It works best if they are fresh. Frozen berries will melt and run down your frosting. If you are using this method for a cake, you can really pile up the fruit. The tiny Champaign grapes are a great choice to decorate with too if you can find them in season.