Warm up with this ultimate comfort food! This vegan gluten free potato leek soup is hearty and satisfying. I promise, you won’t be able to stop at one bowl.
Until recently, I was intimidated by leeks. I wasn’t really sure how to cut them, which section of the leek was edible, and how to properly cook them. Well, it isn’t that hard at all, and I was missing out on an amazing soup that is now one of my family’s favorites.
We have too many trees at our house to grow anything but ferns, but luckily, my parents have a beautiful garden! They are nice enough to let us raid it each time that we visit. We made a trip in September this year, a time we are normally not there, and they had tons of beautiful leeks! I had to finally figure out how to turn them into potato leek soup!
How do I cut leeks?
Cutting the leeks is actually simple. Just cut off the root and the top dark green section – just below where the leaves start to separate. Use this light yellowish green part for the soup.
Peel and chop the potatoes into bite sized cubes and boil them in salted water, separately until slightly soft. (After the potatoes have been boiling for about 8 minutes, stick a fork in a cube to see if it’s soft). Once they are just barely cooked, drain and set aside.
While the potatoes are boiling, chop the leeks into bite sized pieces and sauté them in olive oil, add salt and oregano. When soft and wilted, add the broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the boiled, drained potatoes and simmer on low for another 10 minutes.
Add the soy milk and nutritional yeast and simmer until it just begins to boil.
Add the cornstarch and water mixture and simmer on low for about 5 more minutes until it thickens up slightly.
Simmer for a few more minutes until the foaminess dies down and your done.
Vegan Gluten Free Potato Leek Soup
- 6 medium potatoes
- 3 leeks or about 3 cups chopped leeks
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS fresh oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups hot water with 2 Not Chick’n broth cubes (or 4 cups vegetable broth)
- 2 cups PLAIN soy milk or plain non-dairy milk of choice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Pepper and/or dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 TBS corn starch dissolved in ½ cup water
- Step 1 Peel and cube potatoes, then boil them in salted water for 5-7 minutes until slightly soft. (Drain and set aside).
- Step 2 While potatoes are cooking, chop leeks into small pieces and sauté in olive oil over medium low for 5 minutes until they become slightly soft.
- Step 3 Add oregano and salt, mix and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Step 4 Add the broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the cooked potatoes and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Step 6 Add PLAIN plant based milk, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 7 Stir and simmer for a few more minutes until the soup begins to slightly boil.
- Step 8 Mix cornstarch and water in a cup and add to the soup.
- Step 9 Stir well and simmer for a few more minutes until it begins to thicken and the foaminess settles down.
Serve with these easy, no fail cheesy breadsticks and a salad and you have a complete meal!