This vegan kale soup is a healthy and hearty soup filled with veggies and protein.
Years ago, when I lived in Albuquerque New Mexico, I shopped at La Montanita Co-op. They had a small deli where you could get vegan sandwiches, salads, and soups. My favorite thing there with the Kale Stew! This is my copycat version of the La Montanita Co-op’s Kale Stew.
Does Kale work well in soup?
Kale is delicious in soups! It holds its texture well and doesn’t get soggy or slimy like spinach can. I pack a ton of kale into this recipe, and surprisingly both of my kids love it.
How do I make Kale soup?
Start off by sautéing an onion in a little olive oil and sprinkle it with salt. After the onions release their sweetness, then add 10 cups of broth, carrots, and herbs.
How do I rehydrate the TVP for this soup?
In a separate frying pan, sauté sliced mushrooms in a little vegan butter until they release their juices, then add some Bragg’s Liquid Aminos and TVP to soak up the mushroom broth. This gives the TVP a ground beef type flavor.
Add the mushrooms and TVP into the soup that has been simmering. The TVP will soak up more flavor from this broth. (You can also use Butler Soy Crumbles instead of TVP or if you need a soy free soup, use Beyond meat beefy crumbles).
How do I make kale taste great in soup?
The secret to delicious kale is giving it a little massage before you add it to the soup. I know that this sounds like a high maintenance vegetable, but the flavor and texture that you get as a result is worth it. My oldest son wouldn’t eat kale until I stated massaging it before cooking, and now it’s one of his favorite vegetables!
To massage your kale, simply drizzle a little olive oil over it and give it a sprinkle of salt, then use your hands to rub and squeeze it until it turns a dark green color.
Once you have given your kale a good massage, throw it into the pot and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until it is tender.
A hearty vegan and gluten free soup packed with veggies, TVP, and kale.
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil (devided)
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 10 cups vegtable broth or water
- 2 tbsp bavarian herb mix or Italian herb mix
- 3 tbsp vegan butter (My homemade or Earth Balance)
- 1 lbs crimini mushrooms sliced
- 3 tbsp Bragg's liquid Aminos (soy sauce or coconut aminos)
- 1 1/2 cups TVP (or soy crumbs or Beyoned Meat crumbles)
- 6 cups chopped kale
- salt to taste
In a large soup pot, sauté a diced onion in 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle it with salt.
After the onions release its sweetness, then add 10 cups of broth, carrots, and herbs.
Allow the onions, carrots, and herbs to simmer in the broth while you sauté the mushrooms and TVP.
In a separate frying pan, sauté sliced mushrooms in vegan butter until they release their juices, then add some Bragg’s Liquid Aminos to the mushrooms. Immediately add the TVP to soak up the mushroom broth and give it a stir.
Once the TVP has soaked up the mushroom broth, put the mushrooms and TVP into the soup that has been simmering.
Wash and rip kale into small pieces removing the hard section of the stem and place in a mixing bowl.
Drizzle kale with about 1 tbsp of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Then use your hands to massage until it turns bright green.
Add the kale to the soup and stir well.
Let it simmer for about 10 more minutes until kale is tender.
- If you don't have vegetable broth, you can use water and just add more salt to the soup.
- If you do not have Penzey's Bavarian spice mix, you can use any of your favorite herb mixes. Italian seasoning mix or herbs de providence also work well.
- If you want a less processed soy, you can use Butler soy crumbs or make it soy free by using Beyond Meat beefy crumbles.
- To make it soy free you will also have to exchange the Bragg's Liquid Aminos with coconut aminos.
Pin the vegan kale soup recipe for later:
Love kale in your soups?
This vegan gluten free minestrone soup with kale is delicious!
Creator Of Vegan Recipes, Writer, And Photographer For The Hidden Veggies