This vegan taco soup is full of flavor and can be dressed up with any taco topping that you like. It makes a great meal for parties and family gathering since it can be customized to make everyone happy. The soup has a savory base of zucchini, corn, and beans, and then can be made creamy with a dollop of vegan sour cream and topped with your favorite taco toppings like tomatoes, avocado, and corn chips.
Why do you call it San Miguel Stew?
My husband’s cousin lives in San Miguel Mexico. She said that they make a soup base with beans and vegetables and then have lots of topping to let everyone make their own bowl to suit their taste buds. This sounded like a great idea! This is my vegan recipe based on that idea so we call it San Miguel Stew.
What should I put on my vegan taco soup?
Put anything in your soup that you would put in a taco! It’s all delicious! My favorite thing to add to San Miguel Stew is some dairy free sour cream. About a teaspoon of sour cream in your bowl, turns the soup creamy and delicious! You can make your own dairy free sour cream in less than 5 minutes. See the vegan sour cream recipe here.
You can also add rice or fry up some vegan taco style “meat” to add if you want to make it more of a substantial meal.
Fresh tomatoes, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime are also delicious. Some crumbled tortilla chips and shredded cheese is also a favorite topping in my house. (We usually use Dayia shreds, or I make my own).
I always start my vegan taco soup/ San Miguel Stew with sautéing an onion and some zucchini and then adding corn and beans, however you could add any vegetable that sounds good to you.
Taco Soup / San Miguel Stew
- 2 TSB olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 zucchini in ¼ inch cubes or any other veggies that you like
- 10 cups of water or broth
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp (or more/ to taste) taco or fajita seasoning or 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- 2 can of black or pinto beans drained and rinsed
- Step 1 Sauté the onion in oil for about 5 minutes
- Step 2 add veggies, garlic, salt, and seasoning and sauté for about another 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the water, corn, and beans and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Step 4 Garnish with: Chopped tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, avocado, cooked brown rice, green chile, salsa, corn chips
For parties and family gatherings – have the toppings in pretty little bowls and let people put in what they like to their soup. Everyone, especially kids, love creating their own soup with all of their favorites.
Pin the vegan taco soup recipe for later!
Need some vegan sour cream to dollop on top?
Try this easy homemade vegan sour cream!