This vegan ranch dressing is dairy free, gluten free, cholesterol free, and can be made soy free too. You won’t believe how creamy and delicious it is!
Why should I make vegan ranch?
My kids have been vegan their whole lives, so naturally there are just some foods that they have never had. However, I try my best to create vegan alternatives for all the foods that I loved as a child.
For some reason, ranch dressing got overlooked, that is until I was volunteering in my oldest son’s Kindergarten class during a day when they were served carrot sticks and celery for a snack. Every kid there would only eat the veggies if they were dipped in ranch.
I forgot how much kids love ranch dressing, so I was determined to figure out a vegan version that my kids would love.
After some trial and error with proportions, I came up with a ranch dressing that is surprisingly similar to what I remember as a child.
Should I use dry or fresh herbs?
If you use dry ingredients, the dressing will have a mild flavor. If you use fresh garlic and herbs, it is absolutely delicious, but the flavors may be intense for kids.
How do I make vegan ranch dressing?
- Put all of the ingredients except for the water into a blender or immersion blender container.
- Blend for about 30 seconds until thick and creamy.
- Slowly add an additional 2-3 tsp of water while blending until you reach the desired consistency.
What type of plant based milk should I use to make the vegan ranch dressing?
Soy milk works best in this recipe, but if you need to make it soy free, you can use any milk of your choice, just make sure that it is plain and NOT vanilla.
How do I make vegan ranch soy free?
If you use almond, coconut, or some other milk with little protein, and add a teaspoon of pea protein powder or a tablespoon of aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas) to the recipe. There has to be enough protein in it to make the chemical reaction between the acid in the vinegar and the base in the oil and milk to make the dressing thicken.
Different types of plant based milks work differently in this recipe, even different brands of soy milk will change the thickness, so you may want to add the water slowly to adjust dressing to the thickness that you desire.
Tips for making perfect vegan ranch every time:
- Use an immersion blender to make it super easy and whip up a batch in minutes!
- If you plan on using it as a dip, reduce the water by a tablespoon to make it a little thicker.
- Add the water slowly at the end to achieve the desired thickness.
- Make sure to use plain plant based milk, not vanilla flavored.
For another great vegan dressing try my Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette!
Did you make this ranch? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!
Make homemade vegan ranch dressing or dip in minutes. Dairy free, gluten free, nut free and can be made soy free too!
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup PLAIN soy milk or plant milk of choice
- 1 tsp dry parsley or herb of choice or 1 tbsp fresh herbs
- 1/4 tsp dill (optional)
- ¾ tsp garlic powder or 1 clove of fresh garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 2-3 tsp water until desired thickness or no extra water for dip
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Put all the ingredients except for the water into a blender (or immersion blender).
Blend for about 30 seconds.
Add water a teaspoon at a time, blending between each one until desired thickness.
Store in an air tight container or bottle in the fridge.
- Soy milk works best for this recipe since it has protein that will react with the vinegar and cause it to thicken.
- The thickness of this dressing will depend on your choice of plant milk.
- You may not need additional water. Add the water slowly until you reached the desired thickness.
- Omit the water for vegan ranch dip.