This vegan buffalo chicken will amaze you! It is gluten free and vegan but bursting with flavor! It’s a “meaty” protein-packed meal that will satisfy even the biggest of appetites! Use this vegan buffalo chicken to make filling tortilla wraps, sandwiches, or lettuce wraps. Whatever you use it for, it will be delicious paired with homemade ranch dressing!
What do you use for “chicken” to make vegan buffalo chicken?
You can use any chicken-like vegan chicken strips for this recipe. You can find these at most major stores in the refrigerated or frozen vegetarian “meats” section.
I like to use Butler Soy Curls. These are dehydrated soy protein strips that you can rehydrate in a vegan chicken flavored broth to make your own gluten-free and vegan “chicken strips.”
Since, these soy curls are gluten-free, can be stored out of refrigeration when dry, and are relatively inexpensive, they are my preferred choice.
How do I make vegan buffalo chicken salad?
- If you are using the soy curls, start by rehydrating them in a vegan chicken flavored broth like Not Chick’n Broth. (If you are not using soy curls, skip to the next step).
- Once the soy curls have been rehydrated in the broth, fry them in a small amount of oil in a skillet. This cooks them and dries them out again, so they soak up more flavor from the buffalo sauce.
- After the soy curls are heated through and any excess broth has evaporated, mix up some vegan buffalo sauce and pour it over the soy curls and mix well.
- Then add a ½ cup of chopped celery to the soy curls. This gives it a fresh crunch, so it doesn’t become too rich and heavy tasting.
How do I serve this vegan buffalo chicken?
Serve warm or refrigerate until you are ready to use as a wrap or sandwich filling. (My oldest son just likes to eat it by the bowlful too).
It makes an incredible sandwich served on a roll and drizzled with vegan ranch! If you need it to be gluten-free, these Schar brand hamburger buns work great!
If you are looking for something a little lighter, this vegan buffalo chicken makes a delicious lettuce wrap!
- This works great to make up ahead of time and keep in the fridge. The flavor soaks in even more if it sits for a few hours.
- If you are not using soy curls, make sure to omit the broth and re-hydrating process. (There is no need for this).
- No matter which vegan “chicken” strip you use, pan fry it in a little oil to improve the flavor and texture before coating with the buffalo sauce.
Be sure to pin this easy vegan buffalo chicken recipe for later!
This vegan buffalo chicken salad recipe uses soy curls or other vegan chicken products to make amazing sandwiches and wraps!
Heat 1 cup of water to a boil and add 1 Not Chick’n broth cube (or other equivalent vegan chicken broth base to the water) and stir until dissolved.
Add dry Butler Soy Curls to the broth and stir.
Let the soy curls soak up the broth. Stir about every minute until the broth is soaked up.
Pan fry the soy curls in a little oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat until they are slightly brown and have dried out a little.
- Place in a large bowl and drizzle with vegan buffalo sauce.
- Add chopped celery and toss until the “chicken” is well coated.
Serve on either sandwich buns, Romaine lettuce leaves, or wrap in a tortilla.
- Top your sandwich or lettuce wrap with vegan ranch.
- Serve this either warm or cold.
- To make this soy free as well, use the vegan chicken strips from beyond meat instead of the soy curls and omit the broth and rehydrating process.
- To make gluten-free sandwiches, I use Schar brand hamburger buns.
- Nutrition facts calculated for lettuce wraps. See nutrition facts on the bread of choice and add if making into sandwiches.