This easy vegan cornbread casserole is so simple and delicious, it’s sure to be a family favorite! It’s the perfect combo of moist, creamy, and fluffy and reminds me of a cross between cornbread and a vegan corn souffle. Just dump everything in 1 bowl, mix it up and bake in a casserole dish! It’s that easy, but it tastes like you must have fussed over it for hours.
This recipe was given to me by my good friend Liz. She doesn’t like to cook and usually avoids it, but the one thing that she will make is this cornbread casserole. She recently went vegan and wanted to figure out how to convert the recipe to make it without egg and dairy. I spent some time finding the right proportions needed to veganize it and was intrigued by how great it turned out. After bringing it to Thanksgiving, vegans and nonvegans both went crazy over it so its going on our must-make list for holidays!
You will LOVE this vegan corn casserole because it’s…
- quick and easy to make.
- the perfect side dish to go with any meal.
- easy to make gluten-free.
- a hit with the whole family and even non-vegans love it!
What you will need to make vegan cornbread casserole:
- Creamed Corn – a can of creamed corn that you will find in the canned vegetable aisle.
- Corn – an additional cup of canned (drained) or frozen corn.
- Vegan Sour Cream – you can use a store-bought version of sour cream or easily make your own homemade vegan sour cream.
- Melted Vegan Butter – you can use any vegan margarine that you like or my homemade vegan butter.
- Vegetarian Jiffy Cornbread Mix – make sure to look for the box that says vegetarian. (If you don’t want to use the mix or you’re gluten-free, you can make your own with flour (GF if needed) cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt).
How to make vegan cornbread casserole…
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Dump all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir well.
- Pour into a greased 8″x 8″ casserole dish and flatten the batter out evenly.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour until slightly golden on the edges.
- Serve warm.
Note: If you use any other mix to make the cornbread, you will only need about 1 1/2 cups of the mix. Jiffy mixes are only about 1/2 the size of other mixes.
Variations of vegan cornbread casserole:
- Onion – The original recipe calls for a small onion diced. You can add it or leave it out.
- Sweet Cornbread Casserole – for a sweet cornbread, add an additional tablespoon of sugar.
- Southwest Cornbread Casserole – add 1/2 cup of chopped onions, peppers of choice plus 2 tsp of taco seasoning. This makes a great addition to any Mexican style meal or my Vegan Taco Soup!
How to make this vegan corn casserole gluten-free:
If you need this to be gluten-free, you will need to omit the cornbread mix and make your own with gluten-free flour.
Want a traditional vegan cornbread recipe? You’ll love my vegan skillet cornbread it’s the best traditional vegan corn bread recipe I’ve tried!
This corn casserole is also perfect for serving with soup to turn it into a meal! Try it with one of these delicious vegan soups!
- Vegan Taco Soup
- Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
- The Best Vegan “Chicken” Noodle Soup
Be sure to follow me on Instagram for daily vegan inspiration and recipe ideas! Tag me at #thehiddenveggies! I love to see what you made too!
An easy corn bread casserole made vegan.
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup flour (all-purpose gluten-free flour mix)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
Dump all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir well.
Pour into a greased 8"x 8" casserole dish and flatten the batter out evenly.
Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 1 hour until slightly golden on the edges.
Variations of vegan cornbread casserole:
- Onion - The original recipe calls for a small onion diced. You can add it or leave it out.
- Sweet Cornbread Casserole - for a sweet cornbread, add an additional tablespoon of sugar.
- Southwest Cornbread Casserole - add 1/2 cup of chopped onions, peppers of choice plus 2 tsp of taco seasoning. This makes a great addition to any Mexican style meal or my Vegan Taco Soup!