This vegan taco soup is gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free. It couldn't be much easier to make, and it's always a hit with everyone! Made the flavorful soup base and let your family and friends add all of their favorite taco toppings! It will be a hit, I promise!
- What is taco soup?
- Should I make this in the crockpot?
- How to make vegan taco soup in a slow cooker?
- How to make taco soup on the stovetop?
- Can I change some of the ingredients?
- What do I put on top of this vegan taco soup?
- What to put on a vegan taco bar?
- What are the best toppings for this soup?
- More southwest-style recipes
- Vegan taco soup recipe
What is taco soup?
Taco soup is simply everything that you like in your vegan tacos, yet stirred into a savory taco-flavored broth of beans, corn, and zucchini! When I'm craving some TVP tacos, tempeh tacos, or vegan tostadas, but I want the convenience of a crockpot meal, I make this instead.
Should I make this in the crockpot?
You can make this on the stovetop or in your crockpot. It comes out delicious either way. Using the crockpot just makes it easier.
- Easy for busy days!
- Great for summer when you don't want to heat up your kitchen!
- Perfect for picky eaters because they can pick their toppings!
How to make vegan taco soup in a slow cooker?
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
Step 1 - Place all the ingredients into your slow cooker
Step 2 - Turn the slow cooker on to the low setting for 6-8 hours or the high setting for 4 -5 hours.
Step 3 - Finally, top it with your favorite vegan taco toppings like vegan sour cream, garlic cilantro sauce, avocados, and more.
How to make taco soup on the stovetop?
When I make this soup on the stovetop I usually saute the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil until it's translucent, then I add the remaining ingredients to the pot and let it simmer on medium-low for about 20 -25 minutes before serving.
Can I change some of the ingredients?
Sure! The fun part about this soup is that it can be different every time. You can add whatever veggies and beans you like, then add some water and spices - adjust the spice level to make it mild, medium, or spicy, and let all the yummy flavors slowly cook together!
What do I put on top of this vegan taco soup?
When I make this soup, I set up a taco bar for my family. That way everyone can customize their own bowl. Kids especially love adding their favorites and making them their own.
What to put on a vegan taco bar?
- vegan sour cream
- vegan cheddar cheese
- garlic cilantro sauce
- vegan taco meat
- vegan ground beef
- Mexican pickled onions
- vegan cilantro lime crema
- chipotle mayo
- vegan cheese sauce
- veggie cheese sauce
- diced tomatoes
- corn chips
- fresh lime juice
Let your friends and family create a taco soup supreme!
This is a great soup to serve at a party! This taco soup is one of my favorite things to make for a dinner party. All my Omni friends and family love it and since it is customizable, everyone gets what they like.
What are the best toppings for this soup?
My family always adds a big scoop of vegan sour cream. When you stir it in, it creates a creamy savory soup that is incredibly addictive!
- Surprisingly, crumbled-up corn chips are also a nice addition as well.
- If you like cilantro, then it's a must-have topping! Cilantro with a squeeze of lime makes almost any meal better in my opinion.
- Kids always love lots of vegan cheese that melts and gets stretchy in their hot soup!
Want another delicious vegan soup that you can make in your crockpot? Try my delicious creamy pumpkin bean soup.
More southwest-style recipes
- Vegan White Chili
- Creamy Vegan Green Chile Stew
- Vegetarian Pozole
- Jalapeno Cornbread
- Tempeh Tacos
- TVP Tacos
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
Vegan taco soup recipe
Vegan Taco Soup (In the Crockpot)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cups zucchini cut in ¼ inch cubes
- 2 cups beans of choice (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 10 cups water or veggie broth
- 2 teaspoons taco or fajita seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Wash and chop the zucchini and onion and any other veggies that you choose to add.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Put all the ingredients in the crockpot.
- Set the crockpot to low and let it cook for 8 hours or set it to high and cook for 5 hours.
- Add additional salt and spices to taste. (Taco seasonings vary in salt and spiciness, so you may have to adjust depending on the brand you use).
- Serve with your favorite taco toppings.
- Nutrition facts are for the soup and do not include toppings.
- If you want to make this a meatier soup, add a bag of vegan beefy crumbles like those from Beyond Meat or Beef-less grounds from Trader Joe's. You can also use my homemade TVP taco meat or vegan ground beef recipes.
- You can also add a cup of TVP for a higher protein and more filling soup.
- If you need this to be gluten-free, make sure the taco seasoning that you use does not contain gluten. Some are made with wheat.
Stovetop directionsWhen I make this soup on the stovetop I usually saute the onion in a tablespoon of olive oil until it's translucent, then I add the remaining ingredients to the pot and let it simmer on medium-low for about 20 -25 minutes before serving.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!
*This post was originally published in 2017 and has been updated to include more detailed instructions.