A creamy vegan sour cream recipe made with tofu! This vegan sour cream is gluten-free, palm oil free, nut free, and of course...vegan. Creamy and delicious, this sour cream can be whipped up in minutes with just 5 simple ingredients. It makes the perfect topping for tacos, fajitas, and burritos. It can be used in place of regular sour cream in dips too. A dollop on the top of your favorite soup transforms it into creamy deliciousness, and makes baked potatoes into a full meal!
After reading about the negative impacts of palm oil, I have tried to avoid it when I can. All the store-bought vegan sour creams that I could find had palm oil, so I decided to create my own. I now prefer this recipe to the store-bought versions.
You will love this vegan sour cream because it's...
- quick and easy to make.
- made with shelf-stable ingredients that you can always keep on hand.
- creamy and delicious.
- a healthier cruelty-free vegan sour cream option.
- free of nuts, dairy, and gluten!
What you need to make tofu sour cream...
- Tofu - Silken tofu works the best for this recipe (firm or the extra firm version of the silken type) it is the shelf stable kind that comes in a little box.
- Lemon Juice - for some sourness.
- Salt- for flavor.
- Sugar - for a little sweetness.
- Oil - to make it a little richer and creamier. (optional- leave it out for oil-free sour cream).
Where can you buy silken tofu?
I usually purchase mine at the local Asian market since they usually have the best price, but they also have this kind of tofu in most grocery stores or order it here. Sometimes it is in the refrigerated section, but it can be kept in your pantry.
*If you can’t find the silken tofu, any soft tofu will work, it just may not be as creamy.
How do I make vegan sour cream with tofu?
- Just dump everything into your blender or immersion blender and mix until creamy. It's that easy!
The perfect vegan sour cream to whip up for your next vegan taco party!
How do I store the vegan sour cream?
You can keep the sour cream in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days. Enjoy on tacos, burritos, soups, and baked potatoes.
How can I use this homemade sour cream?
This homemade dairy-free sour cream recipe is perfect for anything that you like to put sour cream into.
- My kids love it spread on tostadas and top them with veggies.
- A dollop of the sour cream in my Vegan Lentil Soup with Kale and Lemon tastes amazing!
- You can also use it to make a simple garlic cream sauce like in my Vegan Scallops recipe.
- Use it to top off my Easy Vegan Chili
If you are interested in learning how to make more homemade vegan staples, like vegan butter, cheese, plant-based milk and more check out my cookbook, “The Ultimate Guide to Homemade Vegan Staples.”
Be sure to follow me on Instagram or on Pinterest for daily vegan inspiration and recipe ideas! Tag me at #thehiddenveggies! I love to see what you made too!
An easy way to make your own vegan sour cream with tofu and a few simple ingredients.
Put all ingredients into a blender, food processor, or use an immersion blender.
Blend well until creamy.
Store in the refrigerator and use as you would regular sour cream to top your burritos, tacos, nachos, or soups!
- Store extra in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- If you like tangier sour cream, omit the sugar.
- Omit oil for oil-free sour cream.