This super easy vegan mac and cheese for one is the perfect meal for your kid's lunch or a comfy evening alone on the couch! There's no need to buy expensive pre-made mixes or individual frozen meals when you can whip this up in minutes with a few simple ingredients!
Sometimes my kids want some mac and cheese for a snack, but I don't feel like making a full meal for the whole family. I just need a serving or two for them that I can make quickly.
I came up with this quick and easy vegan cream cheese-based recipe. It's truly the easiest way possible to make some dairy-free mac and cheese!
❤️ Why make this recipe
This mac n cheese is crazy easy to make! You can whip it up in less time than it takes to boil the macaroni. The cheese sauce is gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free! Plus, you can make as much or as little as you would like.
🧾 Ingredients and substitutions
- Macaroni - or any other shape pasta that you wish.
- Vegan Cream Cheese - you can use any store-bought brands like Tofutti Trader Joe's or you can use my recipe for homemade vegan cream cheese. (It's very easy and can be made in about 5 minutes).
- Water - to thin out the cream cheese mixture.
- Nutritional Yeast - for a cheesy flavor. Nutritional yeast is a yellow flaky powder that is sold in most health food stores or large grocery stores. It's not the same as brewer's yeast.
- Salt - for flavor.
- Tumeric - for color.
🔪 Helpful tools
You just need a bowl and a fork to make the cheese sauce, plus a pot to boil the macaroni.
- Boil your choice of macaroni according to package directions.
- Mix vegan cream cheese with some water, nutritional yeast, and spices listed below, and you have your cheesy sauce ready to go.
- Drain the macaroni.
- Mix the hot macaroni with the sauce, and serve.
In about 10 minutes, you can have a bowl of vegan mac and cheese for one!
👩🏻🍳 Pro tips
- This is a fun recipe for kids to make themselves! They will just need some help with boiling and draining the pasta, but they will love making the cheese sauce on their own.
- You can just scoop out a tablespoon of the boiling cooking water to add to the cheese sauce.
- Make it a totally kid-friendly meal and add some veggies dipped in my homemade vegan ranch!
❓ Frequently asked questions?
I like to whip up this easy mac and cheese if my kids just want a quick lunch or snack, but if the whole family wants mac and cheese, I take a few extra minutes and make my classic vegan mac and cheese using my homemade cheese sauce for the ultimate creamy, cheesy mac and cheese!
Pour my cashew cheese dip overcooked macaroni for a rich and creamy alternative made with cashews.
If you want a healthier alternative, use my veggie cheese sauce recipe to make a cheese sauce from carrots and butternut squash.
If you need it to be gluten-free, simply use gluten-free macaroni. Be sure to buy a gluten-free vegan cream cheese too, and you will have a gluten-free and dairy-free meal your kids will love!
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
An easy way to make vegan mac and cheese for one person in just minutes with a few simple ingredients.
Boil macaroni or your choice of pasta according to package directions.
Mix 2 TBSP vegan cream cheese, 1 TBSP water, 2 tsp nutritional yeast, a dash of turmeric, and a dash of salt in a serving bowl.
Drain the macaroni, mix the hot macaroni with the sauce. Stir well and serve.
- This makes 1 individual serving.
- Adjust the blue number of servings in this recipe card to help calculate larger amounts.
- Scoop a tablespoon of boiling pasta water to add to the cheese sauce.
*This recipe was originally published on August 15, 2017. It was updated on February 17, 2020, to include new images and more detailed information.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Leave a comment and starred review! I would love to hear from you!