This vegan cheese with garlic and herbs is perfect for slicing and eating on crackers. Dairy free, gluten free and nut free, everyone can enjoy this creamy and delicious cheese.
What do I need to make vegan cheese?
With just a few ingredients, you can make the most delicious vegan cheese you have ever had!
• Full fat coconut milk gives this dairy free cheese a rich creamy texture.
• Salt and nutritional yeast give it the cheesy flavor.
• A small squeeze of lemon juice adds a little cheesy bite.
• Agar-agar is a white powder made from seaweed, and it acts like a vegan gelatin making the cheese firm. (It comes in flakes or powder but use the powder. It is less expensive, you need less of it, and it blends easier and smoother. You can find great prices on it at most Asian markets or you can buy it on Amazon as well).
• Finally, a little tapioca flour gives the cheese a little stretch when it melts. Put all together, and it makes the perfect vegan cheese.
How do I make vegan cheese?
- Simply put all the ingredients into a sauce pan and stir with a whisk.
- Heat to a slow boil stirring constantly for 6 minutes. This allows the agar-agar to melt completely and set properly. (It may seem ready after 3-4 minutes but keep it at a low boil for 6 minutes to make sure that it is completely smooth).
- Then pour into any shape container that you wish. (One batch makes almost 2 cups of cheese). I like to use these Snapware containers because they are made of glass and won’t affect the flavor and have lid with a good airtight lid to keep the cheese fresh longer.
How do I flavor the cheese to with garlic and herbs?
Two to three gloves of minced garlic and 2 tsp. of dry or fresh herbs of choice flavors the cheese nicely and make the perfect blend of flavors.
Does this coconut cheese taste like coconut?
If you flavor the cheese with garlic and herbs, there is almost no taste of coconut. My son who hates the flavor of coconut still loves this cheese when I make it with garlic and herbs.
How can I make this cheese melt well?
If you want to use this cheese to make a grilled cheese sandwich or a quesadilla, simply add 2 additional tbsp tapioca flour (this will equal a total of 2 tbsp+1 tsp) to the cheese mixture before cooking. This will make the cheese softer so it melts and stretches when heated.
Do you want gluten free cheese and crackers?
This cheese recipe is naturally gluten free. However, if you want gluten free crackers that taste good, that’s harder to find. I started using quinoa to make my own crackers. You won’t believe how easy and simple it is to do. You can check out these my gluten free cracker recipe that will amaze you here!
Basic recipe for making vegan cheese with garlic and herbs made with coconut milk. Free of gluten, soy, and nuts.
Prepare cheese molds by spraying a glass bowl or container with spray oil or rub any neutral flavored oil on the molds to prevent sticking. (Recipe will make about 2 cups of cheese).
Pour the can of coconut milk into a sauce pan.
Put 1/2 cup of hot water into the empty coconut milk can to melt all the remaining coconut milk and add the water to the pan.
Add all remaining ingredients to the sauce pan and stir with a whisk.
Turn heat on to medium and stir frequently until it boils.
Turn down heat until the cheese sauce is just barely boiling and stir constantly for 6 minutes until it is very smooth.
Immediately pour into the prepared cheese molds.
Let it cool with the lid off for about 15 minutes at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to firmly set.
Once cheese is cooled completely cover and store in the refrigerator in a sealed for up to a week.
- To make this cheese able to melt and better for use on pizza or grilled cheese, add 2 additional tablespoons of tapioca starch.
- For firmer cheese, leave out the tapioca starch from the recipe.
Don’t forget to pin this garlic herb vegan cheese recipe for later!
What are some other ways to flavor the vegan cheese to make new varieties?
Like smokey cheese?
Check out my recipe for vegan smoked gouda!
Can’t get enough garlic and herbs?
Check out my vegan cheese with garlic and herbs!
Looking for a classic vegan provolone recipe?