Vegan Smoked Gouda made with coconut milk may be the all-time best dairy-free cheese! It has a rich creamy texture with a subtle smoky flavor.
This is a cheese that you just have to try to believe how good it really is.
What is vegan cheese made from?
- Coconut Milk: There are many different methods of making vegan cheeses, but I have found the richest and creamiest vegan cheese is made from a can of full-fat coconut milk. You could use other plant-based milk instead or even cashew cream, but I find that the coconut milk gives it the rich creamy texture that I crave in cheese.
- Nutritional Yeast: To give it the cheesy flavor.
- Liquid Smoke: For that smokey goodness of smoked Gouda.
- Agar-agar: A vegan gelatin to make the cheese firm. (This is absolutely necessary and can not be substituted).
What is agar agar?
Agar agar is a white powder made from seaweed. It’s essentially a vegan gelatin. (It comes in flakes or powder but use the powder. It is less expensive, you need less of it, and it blends easier and smoother than the flakes). You can find great prices on it at most Asian markets or you can buy it on Amazon as well.
How do you make the vegan smoked Gouda?
To make this smoked Gouda, you will need to cook the cheese in a pan on the stove top.
- Pour all the ingredients into a saucepan.
- Bring to a slow boil while stirring constantly for 6 minutes allowing the agar agar to melt completely and get very smooth.
- Pour the cheese into an oiled glass container and let it sit uncovered for about 15 minutes until it cools slightly, then put the cheese into the refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours.
It will set up firm and be able to be sliced or shredded. If you are making the melting style vegan cheese, it will set up softer than the variety with less tapioca starch.
Can’t get enough garlic and herbs? Check out my vegan cheese with garlic and herbs!
Looking for a classic vegan provolone recipe? Learn how to make vegan cheese – provolone style.
Want a sharp vegan cheddar? Try my homemade vegan cheddar cheese recipe.
Did you make this cheese? Leave a comment and let me know how it went!
Vegan smoked gouda cheese made with coconut milk. Free of gluten, dairy, soy, and nuts!
Prepare cheese molds by spraying a glass bowl or container with spray oil or rub any neutral flavored oil on the molds to prevent sticking. (Recipe will make about 2 cups of cheese).
Pour the can of coconut milk into a saucepan.
Put 1/2 cup of hot water into the empty coconut milk can to melt all the remaining coconut milk and add the water to the pan.
Add all remaining ingredients to the saucepan and stir with a whisk.
Turn heat on to medium and stir frequently until it boils.
Turn down the heat until the cheese sauce is just barely boiling and stir constantly for 6 minutes until it is very smooth.
Immediately pour into the prepared cheese molds.
Let it cool with the lid off for about 15 minutes at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to firmly set.
Once the cheese is cooled completely cover and store in the refrigerator in a sealed for up to a week.
- To make this cheese able to melt and better for use on pizza or grilled cheese, add 2 additional tablespoons of tapioca starch.
- For a firmer cheese, leave out the tapioca starch from the recipe.
- For a smoker cheese, add an additional tbsp of liquid smoke.
- Delicious on pizza or grilled cheese especially with caramelized onions!