This vegan mozzarella recipe will soon be your favorite vegan cheese! This cheese is made from coconut milk and is free of gluten, soy, and nuts, so everyone can enjoy it.
It may seem like a lot of work to make your own cheese, but I promise that it’s easy and well worth it!
What do I need to make this vegan mozzarella recipe?
With just a few ingredients, you can make the most delicious vegan cheese you have ever had!
• Full fat coconut milk gives this dairy free cheese a rich creamy texture.
• Salt and nutritional yeast give it the cheesy flavor.
• Agar-agar is a white powder made from seaweed, and it acts like a vegan gelatin making the cheese firm. (It comes in flakes or powder but use the powder. It is less expensive, you need less of it, and it blends easier and smoother. You can find great prices on it at most Asian markets or you can buy it on Amazon as well).
• Finally, a little tapioca flour gives the cheese a little stretch when it melts.
Put all together, and it makes the perfect vegan cheese.
You can make this vegan mozzarella recipe in 2 ways. You can make it firm and sliceable; perfect for serving on crackers or simply snacking. You can also make a softer mozzarella that will melt when heated to use on pizza or melted in a grilled cheese sandwich. See the recipe for both variations.
How do you make vegan mozzarella?
- Simple pour all the ingredients into a sauce pan and stir with a whisk.
- Heat it to a slow boil and continue to simmer it for 6 minutes until the agar agar is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the cheese into an oiled glass container.
- Then, let it sit uncovered for about 15 minutes until it cools slightly, then put the cheese into the refrigerator to cool for at least 2 hours.
- It will set up firm and be able to be sliced or shredded.
- If you are making the melting style vegan cheese, it will set up softer than the variety with less tapioca starch.
Like smokey cheese?
Check out my recipe for vegan smoked gouda!
Can’t get enough garlic and herbs?
Check out my vegan cheese with garlic and herbs!
Looking for a classic vegan provolone recipe?
Did you make this cheese? Leave a comment and a rating so we can hear how it went.
A delicious vegan mozzarella recipe that melts made with coconut milk
Prepare cheese molds by spraying a glass bowl or container with spray oil or rub any neutral flavored oil on the molds to prevent sticking. (Recipe will make about 2 cups of cheese).
Pour the can of coconut milk into a sauce pan.
Put 1/2 cup of hot water into the empty coconut milk can to melt all the remaining coconut milk and add the water to the pan.
Add all remaining ingredients to the sauce pan and stir with a whisk.
Turn heat on to medium and stir frequently until it boils.
Turn down heat until the cheese sauce is just barely boiling and stir constantly for 6 minutes until it is very smooth.
Immediately pour into the prepared cheese molds.
Let it cool with the lid off for about 15 minutes at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to firmly set.
Once cheese is cooled completely, cover and store in the refrigerator in a sealed for up to a week.
- To make this cheese able to melt and better for use on pizza or grilled cheese, add 2 additional tablespoons of tapioca starch.
- For best results when melting, let the cheese heat up to room temperature before cooking.
- This cheese melts beautifully in the microwave too!
- For firmer cheese, leave out the tapioca starch from the recipe.