This vegan tofu egg salad is, gluten-free, egg-free, cholesterol-free, and dairy-free, but amazingly tastes just like egg salad. Egg salad sandwiches were something that I missed after going vegan. Then, when I had kids, I was searching for high protein sandwiches that I could pack for school lunches, so came up with this substitute for egg salad.
Does this tofu egg salad taste like real egg salad?
You will have to try it for yourself, but even my non-vegan friends and family love it! It has the same color, texture, and taste as egg salad, so even the skeptics like it. Since tofu absorbs flavors, if you let it sit overnight in the refrigerator, it will taste even better.
What you will need to make tofu egg salad:
- Tofu – to replace the egg. Firm or extra firm tofu works the best. Soft tofu will fall apart and not hold its shape. You will want to drain, press, and pat the tofu dry.
- Vegan Mayonaise – for flavor, richness, and creaminess.
- Salt – for flavor. You can use regular salt or Kala Namak salt, aka black salt. The black salt contains sulfur and will give it an authentic egg-like flavor. FYI – the black salt has a very strong sulfur smell that some find unpleasant. The flavor is not as strong as the smell and the order will dissipate after a few minutes.
- Mustard – for flavor. I like spicy brown mustard in this egg salad, but you can also use regular yellow mustard.
- Paprika – for flavor.
- Garlic Powder – for flavor.
- Tumeric – for a nice golden color.
How do I make a vegan egg salad out of tofu?
- Drain and press firm or extra firm tofu and pat it dry with a towel or paper towel.
- Cut the tofu into very small cubes like you would an egg for an egg salad sandwich.
- Next, put it in a bowl and add the vegan mayo and spices.
- Stir it up until it is well mixed.
- Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to spread it on sandwiches. (It tastes best if it sits for a few hours in the fridge).
Uses for the tofu egg salad:
Keep the vegan tofu egg salad the fridge and just spread it on a slice of bread, rice cakes, or crackers for a quick easy lunch or snack. Since one of my children needs to avoid gluten, I often serve it as a snack on gluten-free crackers.
How do I make a gluten-free and vegan egg salad sandwich?
If you are looking for a good gluten-free vegan sandwich bread, our favorite vegan/ gluten-free bread is Sami’s brand bread. (I have no affiliation with Sami’s, we just love their products). They are not certified gluten-free but have no gluten ingredients. I find it at small specialty stores or order it online.
We also like the Live G-free seeded bread from Aldi. It is one of the only certified gluten-free bread that I can consistently find that is also vegan.
Need a delicious vegan mayo?
Make your own using my easy vegan mayo recipe in less than 5 minutes!
Need a great gluten-free cracker recipe?
Serve the vegan egg salad on this gluten-free cracker recipe!
Did you try this tofu egg salad recipe? Leave a comment below!
Tofu egg salad to make a classic tasting vegan egg salad sandwich.
Cut the tofu in the very small cubes and put into a mixing bowl.
Add all remaining ingredient to the bowl and mix well.
Cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to spread on sandwiches, rice cakes or crackers.
- The tofu egg salad will taste better if it is allowed to sit and absorb the flavors for a few hours.
- Make it the night before and keep in the fridge to use on sandwiches, rice cakes, or crackers.