This vegan tofu egg salad is, gluten free, egg free, cholesterol free, and dairy free, but amazingly tastes just like egg salad.
Egg salad sandwiches were something that I missed after going vegan. Then, when I had kids, I was searching for high protein sandwiches that I could pack for school lunches, so came up with this substitute for egg salad.
Does this tofu egg salad taste like real egg salad?
You will have to try it for yourself, but even my non-vegan friends and family love it! It has the same color, texture, and taste as egg salad, so even the skeptics like it. Since tofu absorbs flavors, if you let it sit overnight in the refrigerator, it will taste even better.
How do I make a vegan egg salad out of tofu?
- Drain and press firm or extra firm tofu and pat it dry with a towel or paper towel.
- Cut the tofu into very small cubes like you would an egg for an egg salad sandwich.
- Next, put it in a bowl and add the vegan mayo and spices.
- Stir it up until it is well mixed.
- Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to spread it on sandwiches. (It tastes best if it sits for a few hours in the fridge).
Keep the vegan tofu egg salad the fridge and just spread it on a slice of bread, rice cakes, or crackers for a quick easy lunch or snack. Since one of my children needs to avoid gluten, I often serve it as a snack on gluten-free crackers.
How do I make a gluten-free and vegan egg salad sandwich?
If you are looking for a good gluten-free vegan sandwich bread, our favorite vegan/ gluten free bread is Sami’s brand breads. (I have no affiliation with Sami’s, we just love their products). They are not certified gluten-free, but have no gluten ingredients. I find it at small specialty stores or order it online.
Need a delicious vegan mayo?
Make your own using my easy vegan mayo recipe in less than 5 minutes!
Need a great gluten-free cracker recipe?
Serve the vegan egg salad on this gluten-free cracker recipe!
Did you try this tofu egg salad recipe? Leave a comment below!
Tofu egg salad to make a classic vegan egg salad sandwich.
- 1 pound firm or extra firm tofu
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
- 1 tsp salt (or black salt for an extra egg like flavor)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 dash tumeric
Cut the tofu in the very small cubes and put into a mixing bowl.
Add all remaining ingredient to the bowl and mix well.
Cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to spread on sandwiches, rice cakes or crackers.
- The tofu egg salad will taste better if it is allowed to sit and absorb the flavors for a few hours.
- Make it the night before and keep in the fridge to use on sandwiches, rice cakes, or crackers.