This tofu egg salad tastes so close to real egg salad, I don't think that most people will be able to tell that it's vegan. Unlike vegan egg salad made with chickpeas, tofu has a similar look and texture to diced eggs.
Once it's flavored with vegan mayo, black salt, and spices, it tastes like real eggs too. So, if you want a vegan sandwich that tastes like the egg salad that you remember, this is the recipe for you!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox. Plus, get more amazing vegan recipes that will satisfy your cravings!
Egg salad sandwiches were something that I missed after going vegan. Then, when I had kids, I was searching for high-protein sandwiches that I could pack for school lunches, so came up with this substitute for egg salad.
Since the price of vegan lunchmeat is so high now, I make these sandwiches all of the time for my teen boys since it's filling and affordable.
❤️ This recipe is
- quick and easy.
- a high-protein sandwich spread.
- delicious and tastes like real egg salad.
- great to keep in the fridge for a quick and easy meal or snack.
🧾 Ingredients and substitutions
- Tofu - to replace the egg. Firm or extra-firm tofu works the best. Soft tofu will fall apart and not hold its shape. You will want to drain, press, and pat the tofu dry.
- Vegan Mayonaise - for flavor, richness, and creaminess. You can use store-bought or easily make your own in about 5 minutes with my vegan mayo recipe.
- Salt - for flavor. You can use regular salt or Kala Namak salt, aka black salt for an eggy taste. The black salt contains sulfur and will give it an authentic egg-like flavor.
- Note - the black salt has a very strong sulfur smell that some find unpleasant. The flavor is not as strong as the smell and the order will dissipate after a few minutes.
- Mustard - for flavor. I like spicy brown mustard in this egg salad, but you can also use regular yellow mustard.
- Paprika - for flavor.
- Garlic Powder - for flavor.
- Turmeric - for a nice golden color.
- Vegan Bread - to make it into sandwiches. You can also use crackers, rice cakes, lettuce leaves, or tortillas.
- Add Ons - This mock egg salad is delicious with sliced tomatoes, lettuce, sprouts, red onion, and/or pickles.
🥄 How to make tofu egg salad
Step 1 - Drain and press firm or extra firm tofu and pat it dry with a towel or paper towel.
Step 2 - Cut the tofu into very small cubes like you would an egg for an egg salad sandwich.
Step 3 - Add vegan mayo, mustard, salt, paprika, and turmeric to a mixing bowl and stir well.
Step 4 - Add the diced tofu and fold it into the mayo mixture until well-coated.
Step 5 - Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to spread it on sandwiches. (It tastes best if it sits for a few hours in the fridge).
🥣 What to serve with tofu egg salad
I love to serve this sandwich with a bowl of vegan soup. Here are some of my favorites.
- Vegan Orzo Soup
- Vegan Italian Wedding Soup
- Dairy-Free Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Vegan Minestrone
- Vegan Cream of Celery
❓ Frequently asked questions?
Yes, the tofu that you buy at the store is already cooked in the process of turning the soybeans into tofu. It is safe to eat out of the package as long as it has been stored correctly. (You can read more about the benefits and risks of eating tofu. However, if your tofu is discolored, pink, slimy, or smells bad, it has spoiled and you need to throw it out.
If you are looking for a good gluten-free vegan sandwich bread, our favorite vegan/ gluten-free bread is Sami’s brand bread. (I have no affiliation with Sami’s, we just love their products). They are not certified gluten-free but have no gluten ingredients. I find it at small specialty stores or order it online. Schar's brand also makes great vegan and gluten-free buns. It's also delicious on my gluten-free quinoa crackers.
Keep the vegan tofu egg salad in the fridge and just spread it on a slice of bread, rice cakes, or crackers for a quick easy lunch or snack.
You will have to try it for yourself, but even my non-vegan friends and family love it! It has the same color, texture, and taste as egg salad, so even the skeptics like it. Since tofu absorbs flavors, if you let it sit overnight in the refrigerator, it will taste even better.
Refrigerate: This tofu egg salad will keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Freeze: I don't recommend freezing the egg salad, or the texture of the tofu will change and it will become less egg-like.
🌟 More easy vegan sandwiches
- Vegan "Tuna" Salad Sandwich
- Vegan BLT
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Vegan Buffalo "Chicken" Sandwich
- Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Seitan Chicken Salad Sandwich
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
📋 Tofu egg salad recipe
Tofu Egg Salad
- 16 slices bread
- 1 medium tomato sliced
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- Drain and press firm or extra firm tofu and pat it dry with a towel or paper towel.
- Cut the tofu into very small cubes like you would an egg for an egg salad sandwich.
- Add vegan mayo, mustard, salt, paprika, and turmeric to a mixing bowl and stir well.
- Add the diced tofu and fold it into the mayo mixture until well coated.
- Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to spread it on sandwiches. (It tastes best if it sits for a few hours in the fridge).
- The tofu egg salad will taste better if it is allowed to sit and absorb the flavors for a few hours.
- Make it the night before and keep it in the fridge to let the flavors blend more.
- It will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge. (I don't recommend freezing.)
* Originally posted on March 9, 2017. Updated 7/6/22 to include new images and more detailed and up-to-date information.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!