Feel like a gourmet chef with this creamy vegan vodka sauce! No one needs to know that it’s one of the easiest dinners that you can make! This simple red sauce is gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free too, so everyone can enjoy it!
Many years ago, I watched Rachel Ray make her “You Won’t Be Single for Long Pasta Sauce” on a TV show. She joked that she knew many people who got a proposal soon after making this dish. I had been dating my vegan boyfriend for almost 3 years at the time so I thought that I should veganize it and give it a try! The pasta came out great, my boyfriend was impressed, and we did get engaged soon after and we’re still married 15 years later. Not sure that it was this dish, but I don’t think it hurt.
This is one of those meals that you can make on special occasions like Valentine’s Day or your partner’s birthday and wow them with your cooking skills! They don’t need to know that it only takes about 20 minutes to whip up.
What type of vodka do I use in vodka cream sauce?
You can use any plain vodka that you have. If you are buying it just for this recipe, cheap vodka is fine. Just be sure not to use the flavored vodkas in this recipe.
Is all vodka vegan?
All regular plain vodka and most other hard liquor like bourbon, whiskey, gin, and rum are vegan. There may be some brands of flavored vodkas that have dairy or honey. There is one brand of vodka called Vermont White that is made from distilled milk sugar. It has a picture of a cow on it which should help you remember not to use that one.
What you will need to make the best vodka sauce ever…
- Vegan Margarine – to give it a rich and creamy flavor and to saute the garlic in. I like to use my homemade vegan butter, but any will work.
- Garlic – for flavor.
- Vodka – for flavor.
- Broth – for extra liquid and flavor. I like to use a vegan chicken-style broth, but any vegetable broth will work.
- Crushed Tomatoes – using a can of crushed tomatoes works great and makes it easy. If you have fresh tomatoes, you can puree them in a food processor and use 3 1/2 cups instead of the canned tomatoes.
- Salt – for flavor.
- Fresh Basil – or vegan pesto for a fresh flavor. This is optional but recommended.
- Pasta – a 16 oz. package of pasta of choice. (The sauce is gluten-free, so if you use gluten-free pasta, the dish will be gluten-free).
How do I make the vegan vodka sauce?
- Warm garlic in some of my vegan butter in a large skillet. (I use my iron skillet to make this sauce, but you can use any large frying pan).
- Add a cup of vodka and let it cook off the alcohol for about 3-4 minutes until the liquid has reduced to about half.
- Add a can of crushed tomatoes and some vegan chicken flavored broth like Not Chick’n and simmer while you cook the pasta.
- Drain pasta and rinse well once it’s cooked al dente.
- Add vegan creamer to your red sauce and give it a stir. (Only add the cream once the pasta has been cooked and drained).
- Mix in the pasta.
- Cook for another minute or two allowing the pasta to absorb the flavor of the sauce.
- This is a very saucy pasta and is great to serve with some bread on the side to dip.
- I get my vegan creamer at Trader Joe’s or use Silk brand from Whole Foods or I make my own homemade vegan soy creamer.
- You can also make your own vegan cashew creamer easily with this Sweetened Cashew Creamer recipe from Vegan in the Freezer.
Are you gluten-free, but still want some bread to dip in this delicious sauce?
Try my gluten-free breadsticks! They are easy to whip up in about a half hour and your whole family will love them!
Did you make this vegan vodka sauce recipe? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!
This is an easy vegan vodka cream sauce recipe that is gluten-free, dairy-free, and nut-free.
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or vegan margarine or olive oil
- 1-3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup vodka
- ¾ cup boiling water with 1 not chick’n broth cube
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup of soy creamer or vegan creamer of choice
- 1 dash salt to taste
- 1 lb. pasta (Gluten-Free if needed) cooked rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped or 1-2 tbsp vegan pesto
Heat water for the pasta.
Add vegan butter and minced garlic to a large frying pan and warm over very low heat.
Once the garlic starts to sizzle a little, pour in the cup of vodka and turn up the heat slightly.
Let it bubble and cook off the alcohol for about 3-4 minutes until the liquid has reduced to about half.
Add a can of crushed tomatoes and the vegan “chicken” broth.
Simmer the sauce on low while you cook the pasta.
Cook the pasta until just barely tender and then drain and rinse well. (Rinse gluten-free pasta very well).
Then add vegan creamer or cashew creamer to the red sauce and then mix in the drained pasta.
Cook for another minute or two to allow the pasta to absorb the flavor of the sauce.
Toss in a handful of fresh chopped basil or a tablespoon or 2 of vegan pesto.
Serve warm with crusty bread to soak up the extra sauce.
- Serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.
- If you can not find soy creamer, you can use plain soy milk or make your own cashew creamer.
- Use any brand of vodka, just make sure it is not flavored.
- Top with some vegan Parmesan cheese. See how you can make your own vegan Parmesan cheese here.