This gluten-free vegan bread recipe without yeast is the easiest way to make gluten-free vegan breadsticks! They have no dairy, eggs, gluten, or soy - yet they're delicious and can be whipped up in minutes.
Why this recipe works...
- They are free of gluten, dairy, soy, yeast, and nuts, so just about everyone can eat them.
- Nothing beats fresh warm bread of out the oven!
- They are easy to make in just 30 minutes.
- Bread sicks turn soup or salad into a filling meal!
- They are perfect for dipping into some vegan marinara sauce!
What tools will I need to make this gluten-free vegan bread recipe without yeast?
You can make them in a mixing bowl, but I have found that it is super quick and easy to just put the ingredients into my food processor and pulse for a few seconds and the dough is done. Either way is quick and easy to mix up.
How do I make gluten-free vegan bread without yeast?
- Start by pre-heating the oven to 400° F.
- Then make a flax egg. Do this by mixing 1 tbsp ground flax seed with 3 tbsp water and letting it sit for a few minutes.
- Next, put in all of the dry ingredients into a bowl (or food processor) and give them a stir.
- Then, add all the wet ingredients including your flax egg and lightly stir with a fork until it forms a soft dough. (Do not over mix - If using a food processor, just pulse a few times).
- Put some olive oil on a cookie sheet and rub it with your hand so your hands also get covered in the oil.
- Pick up about 1/4 of the dough in your hand and roll it into a breadstick shape coating the outside in some of the oil.
- Repeat this 4 times until you have 4 evenly sized breadsticks. then cut some small lines across the top and sprinkle with salt, seeds, or herbs.
- Bake at 400° F for 22-25 minutes.
- Measure very carefully! Baking is a science and if you don't use these exact measurements the dough will be too soft or too firm.
- The dough will be similar to biscuit dough - soft and slightly sticky.
- If your dough does come out too soft and sticky, add a small amount of gluten-free flour to it.
- If your dough is too firm add a slight amount of water until it is biscuit dough texture.
- Stir the dough just enough to combine it, don't kneed the dough!
- Make sure to put oil on your hands to shape the dough and help coat it in oil.
What variations can I make using this recipe?
- Everything Bagel - Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Garlic Bread - Brush with my vegan butter mixed with minced garlic.
- Extra Cheesy - top with shredded vegan cheese after they have baked for 15 minutes, then bake for another 10 minutes.
- Focaccia Bread Sticks - Top with extra olive oil, kosher salt, and fresh chopped rosemary. Dip them in this Creamy Rosemary Potato Focaccia Soup!
What type of gluten-free flour should I use?
I've made these gluten free vegan bread recipe without yeast with a few different flour mixes and they have come out well every time, however, my favorite store bought flour mix to use for this recipe is the Namaste brand mix. My homemade gluten-free flour recipe also works great for these bread-sticks and nearly every gluten-free baked good.
Note: If you use any gluten-free mixes that contain garbanzo bean flour, make sure that they are cooked completely or they will have a funny aftertaste.
Want some soup to go with your bread-sticks?
Pin the gluten-free vegan bread recipe without yeast recipe for later!
Gluten-free vegan bread recipe made without yeast. An easy breadstick recipe that you can top with your favorite herbs or seasonings.
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
Mix the flax meal in water and set aside for a minute.
Put all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl or food processor.
Stir the ingredients or pulse a few times if using a food processor.
Put in the flax and water mixture, water, and oil.
Stire by folding the ingredients together (or pulse a few times with your food processor) until it forms a biscuit-like dough.
Drizzle some olive oil on a cookie sheet and your hands.
Divide dough into 4 equal parts.
Roll out one piece at a time on the oiled cookie sheet to make a breadstick shape and to coat the dough in oil.
Use a knife to make lines across the top to make it look like a tiny loaf of bread.
Sprinkle with salt and herbs if desired.
Bake at 400°F (200°C) for about 22-25 minutes until slightly golden and crispy on the outside.
- This will be a slightly sticky dough. Make sure to coat your hands with oil when shaping into a breadstick shape.
- This recipe will make 4 breadsticks that are about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long.
- This recipe is also excellent with Everything Bagel Seasoning on top instead of herbs.
- Sprinkle with rosemary and kosher salt for Focaccia breadsticks.
- Great for dipping in soups or vegan marinara sauce.
- If you have a yeast allergy or intolerance, you may not be able to tolerate nutritional yeast.