These vegan lettuce wraps are a quick, easy, and healthy meal that everybody loves! As good as PF Chang's famous lettuce wraps, this recipe is full of veggies and protein, and they're low carb and gluten free too! They work great as an appetizer or a light meal and they can be made in less than 15 minutes start to finish!
❤️ Why you'll love this recipe
- It's high in nutrients and protein, but low in carbs!
- These are quick and easy to make.
- They're bursting with flavor.
- It's great for lunches, appetizers, or even a light meal!
- Lettuce wraps fun to eat and even kids will like them!
- They're great for making ahead.
- These are delicious both warm or cold.
🧾 Ingredients and substitutions
- Lettuce - Any large leaf lettuce will work. Romaine, bib, or even iceberg will work well.
- Vegetables - About 3 cups total of any veggies that you like. Broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, cauliflower, zucchini, and mushrooms all work well. (However, only use a small amount of zucchini or yellow squash or it will become too wet).
- Water Chestnuts - This gives the veggie mixture some texture and crunch and is an important ingredient, so don't leave it out. I like to use the whole water chestnuts (they taste the best) and just chop them with the vegetables.
- Protein - You can use Tofu (Use an extra firm that has been pressed to get the water out and then crumbled) or any vegan "meat" product that you choose like vegan chicken strips cut into small pieces.
- Sesame Oil - This gives it an authentic Chinese flavor. You can use another oil if you choose, but sesame oil adds a lot to the flavor of this dish.
- Mirin - this is a sweet and salty liquid that you can find in the Asian section of the grocery store. (This is the base of the sauce)
- Bragg's Liquid Aminos - This is similar to soy sauce, but it's gluten-free. You can also use Tamari or even just regular soy sauce if you don't need gluten free lettuce wraps.
- Ginger - To give it flavor. Freshly grated ginger root is the best choice if you have it.
- Garlic - To add more flavor. (optional)
- Fresh Herbs - Cilantro, green onions or Thai basil chopped and sprinkled on top of your lettuce wrap give it another burst of flavor.
- Sriracha or Chili Garlic Sauce - (optional) if you want them spicy.
🔪 Helpful tools
- Food Processor - A large food processor makes chopping the veggies very quick and easy, but if you don't have one just hand chop them into tiny pieces. (You may need to do it in 2 batches if you have a smaller food processor).
- Frying Pan - To fry up the veggies and protein of choice.
- Spatula - Or wooden spoon to stir your lettuce wrap filling.
- Wash and cut your choice of veggies into large pieces (Cut out the seeds and white stuff inside the bell peppers) and put them into a large food processor
- Drain the water chestnuts and add to the food processor and hit pulse about 10 times until it's all chopped into very small pieces.
- Put sesame oil in the bottom of a skillet and turn on to medium heat.
- Add the chopped veggies to the skillet and stir frequently for about 3-5 minutes.
- Crumble the drained, pressed tofu into the skillet with the veggies.
- Make the sauce - mix the mirin, Braggs, ginger, and garlic then drizzle it over the veggies and tofu.
- Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies are just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
🌟 Kid friendly
These lettuce wraps are a great way to get lots of veggies into your kids. Since they are cupped up so tiny, and they are cooked in the sweet and savory sauce, my kids happily eat them!
🥡 Meal prep
- You can make up the lettuce wrap filling when you have time and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days to make any time you need a quick lunch or a healthy snack.
- They work great to take on picnics. I just bring the filling in a container and cut and wash the lettuce leaves so they are ready to fill and eat.
- This recipe also works well for packed lunches by assembling your lettuce wraps before you eat them.
- They are so good, I even eat them cold for breakfast when I have a batch of the filling made up in the fridge.
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
A quick and easy vegan lettuce wrap made with tofu, veggies and just the right seasonings!
- 3 cups chopped vegetables of choice broccoli, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, or zucchini.
- 1 can water chestnuts drained
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu drained and pressed (or any vegan meat substitute chopped in small pieces.)
- 12 large Romaine or bib lettuce leaves washed with the root end cut off
Wash and cut your choice of veggies into large pieces (Cut out the seeds and white insides of the bell peppers) and put them into a large food processor
Drain the water chestnuts and add to the food processor. Hit pulse about 10 times until it’s all chopped into very small pieces.
Put sesame oil in the bottom of a skillet and turn on to medium heat.
Add the chopped veggies to the skillet and stir frequently for about 3-5 minutes.
Crumble the drained, pressed tofu into the skillet with the veggies.
Make the sauce – mix the mirin, Braggs, ginger, and garlic, then drizzle mixture over the veggies and tofu.
Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring frequently until the veggies are just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Use a food processor to quickly chop the veggies into very small pieces.
- If using zucchini, only add a small amount (about 1/2 cup) or your mixture will be too wet.
- If you want wraps to be spicy, add 1 tsp of sriracha or Chili Garlic Sauce to the dressing.
*Updated from original post on August 23, 2017.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Leave a comment and stared review! I would love to hear from you!