This vegan caramel frosting may be the most delicious frosting ever! Rich and buttery this caramel frosting is made with real salty sweet vegan caramel!
I’ve seen a few caramel frosting recipes that call for coconut sugar to give the frosting a caramel flavor. This recipe uses real salted caramel sauce for a true caramel flavor!
Why you will love this vegan caramel frosting…
- It’s vegan, gluten free, and can be made soy free too!
- It’s not too sweet, but flavored perfectly with the right balance of caramel and salt.
- You will have extra salted caramel sauce to drizzle over the top of your cake or cupcakes!
How do I make vegan caramel frosting?
- You need to start by making my vegan salted caramel sauce.
- Then cream butter and powdered sugar together into a fluffy butter cream.
- Add the warm salted caramel sauce and continue to blend it in with the sugar and butter. (If your caramel sauce has gotten too firm, warm it up just enough to pour it into the frosting).
- Add flour and continue to mix. (You can also use more powdered sugar instead of the flour).
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of plant-based milk if necessary to get the right texture.
- Use a piping bag or this great cupcake decorating tool to make your frosting look perfect!
- Drizzle with some extra vegan salted caramel sauce!
Why add flour to the butter cream?
I like to add some flour in place of some of the powdered sugar to cut the sweetness of the frosting. I think that the frosting it too sweet when made with only sugar. You can use either method to firm up your frosting.
What is this caramel frosting good on?
This caramel frosting is good on just about anything including a spoon! It goes great on my gluten free vegan chocolate cupcakes. I also love it on my vegan pumpkin muffins! You can also spread it on top of my veggie brownies instead of the fudge frosting to make a perfect vegan caramel brownie!
Did you make this vegan caramel frosting? Leave a comment and let me know how it went!
A rich buttery vegan frosting made with real vegan caramel.
Start by making my vegan salted caramel sauce.
Then cream butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla together into a fluffy butter cream.
Add the warm salted caramel sauce and continue to blend it in with the sugar and butter. (If your caramel sauce has gotten too firm, warm it up just enough to pour it into the frosting).
Add flour and continue to mix. (You can also use more powdered sugar instead of the flour).
Add 1-2 teaspoons of plant-based milk if necessary to get the right texture.
- Depending on the type of vegan margarine that you use, you may need to add a small amount of plant milk to the frosting to get the right consistency.
- You may need to put the frosting in the fridge for about 10 minutes before piping if the caramel was very warm when you added it to the frosting.
- If your frosting it too thin, add a few more tbsp of powdered sugar.