This easy vegan butterscotch sauce is the perfect rich and creamy sauce to pour over ice cream or drizzle over brownies or cupcakes. Butterscotch is similar to caramel but it's made with brown sugar instead of white sugar, and the method for making butterscotch is much easier than caramel.
Traditional caramel involves caramelizing white sugar to get the caramel color and flavor. Once it reaches the correct temperature, caramel can easily burn in a matter of seconds and takes some skill to perfect. Although I love my vegan salted caramel sauce, this butterscotch sauce has a very similar taste and it's much easier to make.
You will LOVE this vegan butterscotch sauce because it's...
- sweet, creamy, and delicious.
- easier to make than caramel.
- dairy-free, gluten-free, and nut free.
- uses basic ingredients that you probably already have at home.
What you will need to make this easy vegan butterscotch...
- Butter - any vegan margarine or my homemade vegan butter work great for this sauce.
- Brown Sugar - to sweeten the sauce and give it a rich brown color and caramel flavor. You may use coconut sugar too, but it will make the sauce darker and give it a more molasses flavor.
- Plant-Based Milk - for creaminess. You can use any milk you choose. Soy creamer or coconut milk also work nicely too.
- Salt - for flavor. You can adjust the amount that you like.
- Vanilla Extract - for flavor.
How do you make vegan butterscotch?
- Melt vegan butter in a small saucepan and add the brown sugar and salt.
- Heat the sauce over medium-low heat until it bubbles, then continue to heat it for 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the plant-based milk and stir it well.
- Bring to a low boil for 3 more minutes.
- Turn off heat, add the vanilla and stir well.
Notes for perfect butterscotch:
- The sauce will appear watery when hot. It will thicken a lot when it cools.
- The traditional butterscotch sauce has salt in it. You can omit it if you prefer, or even increase it to make a salter sauce.
- You can also turn this butterscotch sauce into delicious vegan butterscotch pudding!
How do I keep and store my butterscotch sauce?
Store your sauce in a glass jar or container with a sealed lid in the refrigerator. It will keep up to 2 weeks.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram or Pinterest for daily vegan inspiration and recipe ideas! Tag me at #thehiddenveggies! I love to see what you made too!
A sweet caramel-like sauce to pour over ice cream or desserts.
Melt 1/3 cup vegan butter in a small saucepan and add 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/4 tsp salt.
Heat over medium-low heat until it bubbles, then continue to heat for 3 minutes stirring frequently.
Add 1/2 cup plant-based milk and stir well. (Be careful, it may spatter a little).
Bring to a low boil for 3 more minutes.
Turn off heat, add 1/2 tsp vanilla and stir well.
Note: The mixture will appear watery when hot. It will thicken a lot when it cools.