This veggie tofu scramble with pesto is one of my favorite things to make for breakfast! It's healthy, high in protein, low in carbs, and simply delicious! I use this basic recipe for all of my veggie-packed tofu scrambles, but you can just throw in whatever spices and veggies that you like along with the tofu and make it your own.
As a vegan, breakfast foods can be hard. Scrambled eggs were one of my favorites, and I was sad at first when I thought of giving them up. The first time that I heard of a tofu scramble, I was very skeptical. Surprisingly, tofu has a very similar texture to eggs and it just absorbs the flavors of the seasonings. It gives you tons of cholesterol-free protein that keeps you full all morning. You can load it up with lots of healthy veggies too.
You will love this veggie tofu scramble recipe because it's...
- super healthy! Packed with broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, and any other veggies you like.
- quick and easy to make!
- perfect for meal prep so you can pop it in the microwave and have an easy hot breakfast on the go.
- gluten-free, vegan, and nut-free so anyone can enjoy it!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Tofu - one package of extra firm or high protein tofu works best. Don't use silken or soft tofu or it will be soft and mushy. Be sure to drain out the water and press it to squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Oil - light olive oil or any other neutral-flavored oil of your choice will work to saute the veggies and tofu so it doesn't stick to your pan.
- Veggies - zucchini, broccoli, spinach, and cherry tomatoes are my favorite, but you can add anything you like.
- Herbs and Spices - I like vegan pesto in my scramble, but you can use any herbs or spices that you think would taste good with the veggies you choose.
- Vegan Cheese - any store-bought vegan cheese that you like will work or you can easily make your own vegan cheese.
- Salt and pepper - for flavor.
Vegetables that are good in a veggie tofu scramble
Feel free to add or subtract any of the veggies to suit your family’s taste. I find these to be the best veggies to use in tofu scramble:
- bell peppers
- cherry tomatoes
- avocado (added in at the end)
What herbs and spices should I use?
I prefer pesto, but any herb that you like will flavor it nicely.
You can also use...
- Italian Spices - for a Mediterranian flavored scramble.
- Taco Seasoning - for a southwest style scramble.
- Zhoug Sauce (spicy cilantro sauce) - for a spicy scramble bursting with flavor.
- Cilantro Lime Sauce - for a fresh and spicy scramble.
Let me know if you have tried it and what are your favorite things to add!
It's great to have a food processor so you can just throw in any veggies that you like and chop them up quickly. I also use an iron skillet to cook my tofu scramble. It cooks evenly and the tofu never sticks. If you don't have an iron skillet, you may want to use a non-stick skillet or more oil for cooking so the tofu doesn't stick.
How to use this recipe for meal prep
This is a great breakfast to make ahead of time and use for meal prep. You can store it in microwave-safe containers and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Then, simply microwave it for a delicious hot breakfast or a high protein snack. I like to use glass Snapware containers when I meal prep. The 2 cups sized containers hold the perfect amount and can go from the fridge or freezer to the microwave.
If you want some more make-ahead breakfasts, check out my post about Vegan Meal Prep - Breakfast Ideas!
Where to find vegan pesto
Trader Joe's carries a vegan pesto in the refrigerated section near the dips, however, this the only store-bought pesto that I have found to be vegan. The easiest way to get vegan pesto may be to make it yourself! It is so easy to make your own! See my vegan pesto recipe to see how I make a big batch and freeze it so I always have some on hand to add to recipes!
Need some other great breakfast ideas? You will also love my ...
Be sure to follow me on Instagram for daily vegan inspiration and recipe ideas! Tag me at #thehiddenveggies! I love to see what you made too!
A veggie-packed tofu scramble with vegan pesto. Makes a healthy hot breakfast and works great for meal prep! (Gluten and dairy-free).
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 small zucchini (diced)
- 1 medium head of broccoli chopped
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu (drained and pressed)
- 10 medium cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 3 cups baby spinach (washed)
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese (like Dayia shreds or my homemade vegan cheese)
- 3 tbsp pesto (or 1 tbsp dry herbs of choice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- sprinkle with pine nuts or chia seeds optional
Pour olive oil to a frying pan, add garlic and onion and sprinkle with salt.
Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil on medium-low until they become translucent.
Turn up the heat to medium and add diced zucchini and broccoli. Sauté for about 2 more minutes.
Add crumbled tofu and pesto or herbs. Stir frequently for about 5-8 minutes.
Add tomatoes, spinach, and cheese.
Mix in thoroughly for about 1-2 more minutes.
Top with more pine nuts, chia seeds, or more cheese.
- Be sure to press your tofu to squeeze out excess water.
- You can chop the veggies very small to hide them in with the tofu or leave them larger if you would like.
- If you use larger pieces of veggies, your cook time may need to increase by a minute or two.