This Creamy Vegan Zucchini Bisque can be made easy in a pressure cooker or slow cooker. A soup full of zucchini, bell pepper, tomatoes and potatoes, and topped with a dollop of pesto, this soup will surprise you!
Every time that I make Creamy Vegan Zucchini Bisque I look into the pot full of nothing but vegetables and wonder how it is so good and satisfying. My oldest won’t touch zucchini, tomatoes, or peppers, but he will eat bowl after bowl of this soup. He says that it just tastes like creamy mashed potatoes with pesto in it and he is right.
This is a great soup to make to use up old vegetables that are starting to wrinkle. The ones that haven’t gone bad yet, but don’t look as appealing to eat raw. Just cut out any bad spots and throw them in the pot. Everything will be pureed into a smooth creamy consistency in the end, so the look of the veggies doesn’t matter.
If you have a pressure cooker or an Instant Pot, it is really easy to just throw all of the veggies into the pot with the water, let it build up to pressure and then turn it off. Come back when the pressure releases and puree it and you’re done. It is also a great slow cooker meal as well. Just put everything in the pot in the morning, turn it on low for 8 hours or high for 5-6 hours, and then season and puree it before serving. If you don’t have either of these, just boil all of the veggies in a soup pot until they are soft. Any way that you make it, it always comes out creamy and delicious. (I like to use a medal immersion blender for this soup. This way I don’t have to transfer it to a blender and I’m not touching plastic to such hot liquid).
Creamy Vegan Zucchini Bisque
- 3 medium zucchini or about 2 larger zucchini
- 1 bell pepper (I usually use red)
- 2 medium tomatoes or about 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 medium potatoes peeled and cut into large cubes (about 2 cups cubed)
- 5-6 cups of water (enough to just cover over the veggies by about 1/4 inch)
- 2 TBS pesto or a handful of fresh basil plus 1 TBS olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pesto to garnish (optional)
- Step 1 Wash and chop all of the veggies into big chunks and throw them into a pot. (You can use a pressure cooker or a slow cooker as well).
- Step 2 Fill the pot with enough water to cover the veggies by about ¼ inch.
- Step 3 Boil until all veggies are very soft. (If using a pressure cooker, just bring up to pressure and then turn off and wait until pressure goes down).
- Step 4 Add pesto or basil and olive oil, and salt to the pot.
- Step 5 Puree with an immersion blender or transfer small amount to a blender to puree.
- Step 6 Serve hot with a dollop of pesto.
Pesto makes this soup delicious! It is hard to find dairy free pesto in the stores, but super easy to make your own. Here is how I do it… Click here for my easy pesto recipe.
Pin Creamy Vegan Zucchini Bisque for later: