Vegetarian fajitas are so quick, easy, and delicious, they will soon be put into your family’s weekly meal rotations. Packed with nutritious veggies and filled with all of your favorite toppings! Customize your vegetarian fajitas to make them your own and make the whole family happy!
This is one of those dinners that I make on those nights that I don’t feel like spending a lot of time fussing in the kitchen, but my family still wants a filling, satisfying meal.
What veggies should I use?
You can add any veggies that you have on hand. My favorite ones to use are onions, bell peppers, portabella mushrooms, and zucchini. I cut them into long thin slices and sauté them in my iron skillet. For added protein, I also like to add vegan chick’n strips like Beyond Meat or Butler Soy Curls.
Tips for making it even easier:
- Use frozen peppers or pre-cut veggies. Many grocery stores even sell pre-cut fajita veggies in the produce section, so all you have to do is fry them up and wrap it in a tortilla and you’re done!
- Some stores sell pre-cut frozen peppers and onions too. Keep a bag in the freezer to have on hand when you need a quick, easy meal! Fire roasted veggies from Trader Joe’s also work great for vegetarian fajitas too!
How do I make vegetarian fajitas?
This dish couldn’t be more simple.
- Add enough oil to the bottom of your frying pan to cover the bottom. (I love my iron skillet to make these fajitas! It cooks evenly and the veggies never stick to the pan).
- Then, add the long thin slices of onion. Sauté the onion for about 3- 4 minutes until slightly translucent and then toss in all of the rest of the veggies that you want in your fajitas.
- (Add vegan chick’n strips or meat alternatives like beyond meat or re-hydrated Butler Soy Curls if desired at this time as well).
- Sprinkle your veggies with fajita seasoning and continue to stir frequently for about 5 more minutes until all of the veggies are slightly soft, but not mushy.
- Salt to taste and use a sprinkle of cayenne to spice it up if you like it hot. (Many fajita seasoning mixes contain salt, so be careful not to over salt the veggies).
- Put about ¾ cup of cooked veggies in the center of a tortilla.
- Then, top your veggies fajitas with vegan sour cream, guacamole, cilantro lime sauce, or salsa. Fold up the bottom inch and roll up the tortilla into a burrito shape and your done!
What if I need gluten-free vegetarian fajitas?
Since we need to be gluten-free, I use the gluten-free tortillas from Aldi. They are one of the only brands that I can find that are both gluten-free and vegan. They don’t completely fall apart as some do.
Tips for GF tortillas:
- Put them between 2 moist paper towels and microwave for 20 seconds to soften and reduce breakage.
- I also stick a toothpick through it to help hold it together since they are usually not as pliable as wheat tortillas.
- You can also use corn tortillas if you cannot find gluten-free tortillas.
Top your fajitas with some homemade vegan sour cream! Whip it up in a minute with a few simple ingredients!
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment or rating below!
The vegetarian fajitas are vegan and gluten free. You can fill them with your choice of veggies and vegan chick'n strips. Top them with vegan sour cream and guacamole!
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced in thin strips
- 2 bell peppers washed and cut into long thin slices or 1 bag of frozen chopped peppers
- 1 medium zucchini washed and cut into long thin slices
- 2 portabella mushroom caps washed and cut into long thin slices
- 9 oz. package of vegan chick’n strips like Garden or Beyond Meat or 2 cups rehydrated Butler Soy Curls
- 2-3 tsp. fajita or taco seasoning or 1 tsp. cumin and 1 tsp. chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprinkle cayenne pepper to taste
- 8 tortillas
- Your favorite taco toppings like avocado, guacamole, salsa, vegan cheese, or vegan sour cream.
- Wash and cut veggies of choice into long slices about a ¼ inch wide.
Add oil to the bottom of an iron skillet or non-stick frying pan.
Turn heat to medium and toss in sliced onions.
Sprinkle with a little salt and sauté for about 3-5 minutes until slightly translucent.
Add the rest of the veggies and vegan chick’n strips if desired.
Sprinkle with 2 tsp. fajita seasoning or alternative.
Sauté on medium for about five minutes until veggies are soft, but not mushy.
Sprinkle with more salt or seasoning to taste.
Warm tortillas between 2 moist paper towels in the microwave for 20 seconds.
Place about ¾ cup of fajita mixture in the center of the warmed tortilla.
Top with your favorite toppings like avocado, guacamole, salsa, vegan cheese, or vegan sour cream.
Fold up the bottom inch and then roll tortilla into a burrito shape.
- If you want veggies that are slightly crispy, reduce cooking time by a minute or two.
- If using gluten free tortillas, put them between 2 moist paper towels and microwave for 20 seconds to soften and reduce breakage.
- You can also use corn tortillas if you can not find gluten free tortillas.