Making an oatmeal mug muffin couldn't be easier! Use a packet of instant oats to make a muffin in 2 minutes. These are the best way to make a delicious hot breakfast in no time. Vegan, soy-free, and gluten-free too!
Your kids will love these! I have seen recipes for mug cake and tried a few of the recipes that I found. It was amazing to see that you could actually bake in the microwave. Who knew?
One morning, I was heating up some instant oats for my son, and I got the idea to thicken it up a little and turn it into an oatmeal mug muffin. After some adjustments with the ingredients and some cook times, they finally came out perfect. Now my family can have warm muffins for breakfast without having to bake a whole batch!
How to make an oatmeal mug muffin...
- Pour an instant oatmeal packet into a mug.
- Add flour (GF if necessary), sugar (optional), oil, baking powder, and water.
- Stir with a fork until a thick batter forms.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Pro Tip: You can even make up little baggies with the extra dry ingredients in them so all you need to do in the morning is pour in the dry ingredients, add water, and heat for 2 minutes. Take them to the office and eat a hot breakfast at your desk. They work great for a hot after school snack too!
Can they be made gluten-free?
Yes, it's easy to make them gluten-free, simply use gluten-free flour and oatmeal. Any of the gluten-free flour mixes work well for this recipe, and since it is in a mug, it doesn’t matter if it is a little crumbly. If you need them to be 100% gluten-free, make sure to use gluten-free instant oats.
Note: Regular oatmeal can contain traces of gluten.
How to make these mug muffins healthier
If you want this recipe to be healthier, leave out the sugar and/or the oil. The mug muffin comes out well without them too. You can stir in some flax meal too for some extra nutrients!
Throw in a tablespoon of raisins or blueberries for a twist. Apple cinnamon works well in this recipe with little chunks of oatmeal in the muffin. Try experimenting with different flavors of oatmeal. Let me know which flavor you like best!
Want to try another healthy gluten-free vegan muffin?
You will love these Healthy Vegan Muffins with Hidden Veggies!
Did you make this oatmeal mug muffin? Leave a comment and let me know what you think!
The quickest and easiest way to make a gluten-free vegan muffin!
- 1 packet instant oatmeal (any flavor)
- 2 tbsp flour gluten free or regular
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
Put all ingredients into a microwave safe mug.
Stir with a fork.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- To make this muffin healthier you can leave out the extra sugar and oil.
- Sugar levels vary between brands of instant oatmeal.
- Toss in 1 tbsp. of your choice of berries or raisins for more flavor.
- If you need it to be 100% gluten-free, make sure to buy gluten-free instant oatmeal.