Tempeh Bacon is a delicious, gluten-free, vegan bacon alternative! Packed with protein and soaked in a salty smoky marinade for a true bacon flavor! You can eat it for breakfast, put it in a BLT or on a veggie burger! Most recipes that call for bacon can be swapped with this healthy, plant-based, tempeh bacon!
What is tempeh made of?
If you have never heard of tempeh before, it is made from soybeans that have been fermented and pressed into a dense, high protein block. It’s similar to tofu in that it is made from soybeans, but it is less processed. Tempeh has more protein and fiber than tofu plus beneficial probiotics. For more information and health benefits of tempeh, click here.
Will I save money making my own vegan bacon?
The store-bought tempeh bacon is delicious, but a little pricey, so it was something that I only bought occasionally. It is usually about a dollar more for the bacon flavored tempeh than the plain unflavored one, so I was pretty sure that I could figure out a marinade that gave the bacon flavor to save a dollar every time I made it. The marinade:
I played around with the ingredients until I came up with the perfect tempeh bacon marinade. It is easy to make and only uses a few basic ingredients.
If you’re organized, make the marinade up the night before, and let the tempeh sit in it overnight This way the flavors will soak deep into the tempeh.
If you don’t do this, no worries. You can let it just soak up the marinade for at least 15 minutes, it will still have a good flavor.
How do I make my own tempeh bacon?
- Simply mix Braggs Liquid Aminios, Liquid Smoke, nutritional yeast, and salt in a flat-bottomed dish and add the raw sliced tempeh.
- Let sit for at least 15 minutes or marinate covered in the fridge overnight.
- When you are ready to eat, fry in a small amount of oil (I love my iron skillet for frying! Nothing ever sticks to it and I don’t have to worry about the chemicals in non-stick cookware).
Is tempeh bacon gluten free?
The tempeh bacon that you can buy in the store is not gluten-free. You will have to make it yourself to get gluten-free tempeh bacon.
If you need this recipe to be gluten-free:
- Make sure to use plain tempeh, some multi-grain versions contain gluten ingredients.
- Also, be sure to use Bragg’s liquid Aminos or gluten-free soy sauce like Tamari in the marinade. (Regular soy sauce is not gluten-free).
Don’t forget to pin the tempeh bacon recipe for later!
Smokey vegan gluten free tempeh bacon.
- 1 block tempeh
- 1 tsp canola oil or any neutral tasting oil for frying
- Mix the Bragg’s, liquid smoke, nutritional yeast, and oil, and salt in a flat-bottomed container and stir with a fork.
- Slice the tempeh into ¼ inch thick slices and lay flat in the marinade.
Flip over to coat all sides and cover and refrigerate overnight or let it sit for at least 15 minutes to soak up the flavor.
- Fry on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes on each side until they darken and crisp up slightly.
- Serve as you would bacon.
- The tempeh bacon will still taste great even if you only have a short time to marinate it.
- It fries up great in an iron skillet, but you can also use a nonstick pan.
- To reduce the fat content, you may omit the oil from the marinade.