Tofu Fried Rice is a gluten free, plant based, family favorite! If you have some leftover rice in the fridge, it can be whipped up in minutes.
Everyone loves this dish, even my omni family and friends go crazy over this meal, saying it tastes just like fried rice from a Chinese restaurant.
What kind of rice should I use?
Tofu Fried Rice is a great way to use up left over rice that you may have in the fridge or you can make a fresh batch just for this recipe. You can use white of brown rice, whichever you prefer. I use either one depending on my mood or what I have in the house. The kids like the white better, and it does taste more authentic, since that is what restaurants usually use, but of course, brown rice is healthier. For the fried rice in the photos, I used Basmati rice. It cooks up fast, and it’s delicious every time.
Start by sautéing an onion in sesame oil on medium low until it becomes translucent, this gives the onion a sweet flavor. I love to use my large iron skillet, but any large skillet will work.
Then, add a bag of frozen veggies of your choice (mixed veggies, or stir fry mixes work well) or 2 cups of any fresh vegetables cut into small pieces. Peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli, mushrooms, and sweet peppers work great for this. Fresh vegetables are delicious, but this is also a meal that works well for those nights when your running low on fresh veggies, but have a bag of frozen ones in the freezer!
How do I use tofu?
Then add a pound of crumbled firm tofu. This replaces the egg that is typically used in fried rice. The secret to flavorful tofu that makes a good egg replacement, is to freeze the tofu ahead of time. This allows you to squeeze more water out of the tofu. You must remember to thaw the tofu before you make this dish and squeeze out all of the excess water. Then crumble the tofu into the pan with the veggies. You can also use fresh tofu that is well drained and pressed, but freezing it ahead of time allows it to soak up more of the seasoning and give it a great texture in this dish! (I usually keep a couple of blocks of tofu in the freezer for making this. You can thaw it slowly by putting it in the fridge about 24 hours, or if you forget, put the package in a bowl of warm water for about 45 minutes before cooking, changing the water when it cools).
You can use regular soy sauce or if you want to make it gluten free, use Braggs Liquid Amino or Tamari. They all work well, but they may vary in saltiness, so you may want to adjust the amount you use to your taste. Enjoy!
Tofu Fried Rice
- 2-4 TBS sesame oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 16 0z bag of mixed veggies or 2 cups of chopped fresh veggies of your choice
- 1 lbs. of firm tofu (previously frozen then thawed and pressed).
- 2-4 TBS of soy sauce or (Braggs Liquid Amino or Tamari for Gluten Free)
- 4 cups of cooked rice
- Step 1 Chop the onion into small pieces
- Step 2 Pour 2 TBS of the sesame oil in the bottom of a skillet.
- Step 3 Heat the onions on medium low until they become translucent.
- Step 4 Add the veggies of your choice and 2 TBS of soy sauce and turn up the heat to medium high.
- Step 5 Let them cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Step 6 Press all the water possible out of the tofu and then crumble it with your hands into the frying pan.
- Step 7 Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Step 8 Add cooked rice to the skillet and stir well.
- Step 9 For more flavor, add 2 more TSB of sesame oil and up to 2 more TSB or soy sauce.
- Step 10 Continue cooking for about 5 more minutes until everything is hot and mixed well.
Pin the Tofu Fried Rice recipe for later:
Want to try another super easy rice meal? Taco Pilaf is simple, yet satisfies the whole family!