This easy berry compote recipe can be made with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, or any other fruit or berry that you want. It is vegan and gluten-free and makes the perfect topping for vegan cheesecake or ice cream! Plus, you can make it in about 5 minutes with ingredients that you probably already have in your house.
❔What is berry compote?
Berry compote is simply berries cooked, typically with sugar, and turned into a sauce for serving over desserts. You might just know it as berry sauce. It's kind of like the filling of a berry pie.
🥄 How to make berry sauce
Step 1 - Start by using any fresh or frozen berry of your choice and heat it in a saucepan with some sugar, water, and cornstarch.
Step 2 - Bring the berries to a boil and allow them to cook down for about 2-3 minutes.
Step 3 - Turn off the heat and allow it to cool a little. It's that easy!
🍬 Sugar-free instructions
Yes! If you are trying to avoid processed sugar, simply leave the sugar out or replace it with maple syrup or your favorite sugar alternative. If you don’t like things too sweet, you may find that the berries are sweet enough to make a delicious compote.
🍨 Serving suggestions
Use berry compote on vegan cheesecake or turn a boring bowl of vegan ice cream into an ice cream Sunday! It can also turn plain soy yogurt into your favorite berry flavor as well.
You can serve it either hot or cold. Served hot, it will melt your ice cream a little - that could be a good or a bad thing, you decide.
🍓 Strawberry compote
For the strawberry compote, chop up the strawberries into smaller pieces before making the sauce. Most other berries are small enough that they don't need to be cut, but large strawberries are way too large to cook down into a nice sauce.
Keep the berry compote in the fridge for about 2 weeks when kept in a sealed container.
Make a vegan ice cream Sunday bar! Make a batch of vegan salted caramel sauce too and let the kids build their own Sundays!
🫐 More berry recipes
- Vegan Blueberry Cobbler
- Strawberry Chia Seed Jam
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Vegan Strawberry Crumble Muffins
- Dairy-Free Blueberry Cheesecake
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
📋 Berry compote recipe
Berry Compote - Berry Sauce
- 1 1/2 cup berries of choice (fresh or frozen)
- 3 tbsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Add berries to a small saucepan and sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice.
- Heat the berries on medium-low until they start to release their juices.
- In a separate bowl, mix corn starch (or arrowroot) and cold water and then pour it into the berries and stir well.
- Stir constantly and continue to heat the berry sauce until after it has boiled for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Then serve either hot or refrigerate and serve cold later.
- You can adjust sugar to taste.
- Blueberry compote tastes really good with a dash of cinnamon as well.
- If it thickens up too much, thin with a small amount of water until desired consistency. (It will get thicker as it cools).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!