This easy vegan broccoli salad is gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. It can be whipped up in just a few minutes and it’s a vegan family favorite! It’s the perfect side for any meal! Sweet and savory, it turns broccoli into a treat! Even my kids eat bowl after bowl of this salad and ask for more!
How can I make an easy broccoli salad?
Use a bag of pre-cut broccoli slaw and whip up a delicious, nutrient-packed salad in less than 5 minutes!
What is broccoli slaw?
Broccoli slaw is just broccoli stalks cut into skinny long strips similar to how cabbage is cut for coleslaw. Most of the time it will have some shredded carrots in the mix as well. Most grocery stores sell it ready to eat in bags. It comes already washed, cut and ready to make into a salad.
Can I cut up my own broccoli to make broccoli slaw?
Yes, you can chop up your own broccoli stalks into tiny pieces if you choose. It is a great way to use up the whole stems of the broccoli if you have used the florets already and have leftover stems. Simply use a peeler to peel off any hard outer edges and cut the stems into small strips. If you have a food processor or salad shooter that cuts into small shreds, it will save you a ton of cutting time!
How do you make this vegan broccoli salad?
- Start by making a dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, and salt in the bottom of a salad bowl.
- Wisk up all the dressing ingredients and toss in the dried cranberries allowing them to soak up the dressing for a few minutes.
- Next, dump in a bag of broccoli slaw and stir it all up! (You can also cut up some additional broccoli florets to give it added texture and color if you choose).
- Finally, top it with some pine nuts or sunflower seeds for an added little crunch and enjoy!
It’s that easy!
I always keep a bag of broccoli slaw in the fridge for those nights when we need a quick veggie on the side. The bags keep for about a week, so they work great to have on hand.
Tips for perfect broccoli salad:
- Allow the salad to sit for about 10 minutes to allow the broccoli to release its liquid and marinate in the dressing before serving.
- Eat within 8 hours of making to avoid the broccoli from getting too soggy.
Looking for a traditional vegan coleslaw?
This vegan coleslaw recipe is a deliciously perfect classic!
Don’t forget to pin the vegan broccoli salad recipe for later!
A simple vegan broccoli salad with cranberries using broccoli slaw and a maple balsamic dressing.
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 bag broccoli slaw
- 1 cup broccoli florets chopped small (optional)
- 2 tbsp pine nuts or sunflower seeds (optional)
Measure out all of the ingredients for the dressing in a medium sized salad bowl and stir with a fork or whisk until well mixed.
Add dried cranberries and let them soak up the dressing for a few minutes.
Add the bag of broccoli slaw (and chopped florets if desired) to the dressing and cranberries and stir well.
Top with pine nuts or sunflower seeds. (optional)
- Nutrition facts are calculated without nuts or seeds.
- It may seem like there is not enough dressing at first, but the broccoli will release its juices after it sits for a few minutes in the dressing.
- Serve immediately or within 8 hours to avoid it getting too soggy.