This vegan cream of mushroom soup is dairy free, gluten free, and cashew free too. Combining 3 delicious things- creamy food, mushrooms, and soup, how can you go wrong?
When I was a kid, my favorite thing to eat was Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup. It has been over 18 years since I have had a can, but I can easily say this dairy free alternative is much better than Campbell’s!
Do you love mushrooms?
If you are a mushroom lover like I am, you won’t be able to get enough of this recipe! I am the only one in my house that loves mushrooms, so I usually make this for lunch when I am the only one home. It makes about 4 serving, but I have to stop myself from eating the whole pot in one sitting.
What kind of mushrooms should I use?
Any mushroom that you like will work well. My favorite ones to use for this recipe are crimini, also known as baby bellas. You can use any plain vegan milk that you like. It will come out well with all of them. For this recipe, I prefer the West Soy brand soy milk. They actually sell it at The Dollar Tree of all places – for that’s right, a dollar! It is a little waterier and less sweet than most other plain soy milks, so I don’t prefer it for drinking, but it works great for savory cooking!
This is a creamy dairy free soup packed with mushrooms. It can be make gluten free and soy free too!
- 8 oz. package of mushrooms I use cremini
- 1 TBS canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups plain milk of choice or 2 cups plant milk 2 cups water I like the Westsoy soy milk
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 cup cold water
Chop the mushrooms into small bit sized pieces.
Put oil in the bottom of the pan and sauté the mushrooms in the oil on medium heat.
Sprinkle the salt over the mushrooms.
Cook mushrooms until they get darker and release their juices.
Add milk, garlic powder, paprika, and black pepper.
Heat until the soup just barely begins to bubble then reduce the heat to low.
In a separate bowl, mix the cornstarch and water. Stir until it dissolves completely.
Pour the cornstarch mixture into the hot soup stirring constantly.
Continue to heat the soup on low until it thickens and just starts to bubble.
Turn off heat and serve.
- If you are using thicker soy milk to make this like Silk brand or equivalent, use 2 cups milk and 2 cups water.
- You can also use unsweetened plant based milk in this recipe.
- Do not use vanilla flavored plant milk.
- You may also thicken this soup by adding 1/4 cup of oil and 1/4 cup of flour to the bottom of a second soup pot. Heat the flour and oil for a minute then slowly ladle in the hot broth stirring with a whisk between each scoop of liquid until all of the soup is added and it begins to bubble.
- If using the method with oil and flour, still add the extra cup of water, just don't add the cornstarch.
How do I make it thick and creamy?
This vegan cream of mushroom soup can be thickened one of 2 ways. The easiest way is to use corn starch and cold water. (This method also makes it gluten free). The other way it to make a rue out of ¼ cup of oil and ¼ cup of flour. Heat the oil and flour in a sauce pan until it gets bubbly and starts to brown slightly then slowly add the broth to the rue, stirring constantly, until it thickens. The method using the rue adds, gluten and fat, but it also adds a rich creaminess to the soup!
Pin the vegan cream of mushroom soup for later:
Did you make this soup?
I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it!
Want to make it more of a meal?
Add these amazing cheesy bread sticks and you have a hearty meal!