This refined sugar-free barbecue sauce is sweetened only with your choice of apple sauce, stevia, molasses, or maple syrup. It’s not overly sweet, yet full of a smoky barbecue flavor. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and low carb too and you can whip this up in less than 5 minutes with a few basic ingredients. Why would you ever need to buy an overwhelmingly sweet store bought sauce again?
I was never a big fan of barbecue sauce. It was just too sweet and so many store-bought brands seem more like a smoky flavored syrup. I decided that I could probably make my own and uses less sugar. I tried swapping out the sugar for maple syrup hoping that it would still be good, and it was even better! I’ve made many variations with apple sauce and molasses too and they all came out great, so you can use the sweetener of your choice and adjust the amount to suit your dietary needs.
What do I need to make sugar free barbecue sauce?
- Tomato Paste – this is the tomatoey base of your barbecue sauce.
- Vinegar – to give your barbecue sauce some tangy acidity.
- Liquid Smoke – this will give your sauce that smokey barbecue flavor.
- Steak Seasoning – to flavor your sauce. (This has black and red pepper, garlic, salt, and paprika).
- Salt – for flavor.
- Sweetener – (optional) maple syrup works great, but you can also use molasses, coconut sugar, stevia, or even apple sauce.
- You can omit the sweetener completely, but it will be a strong acidic flavored sauce. I recommend that you add small amounts of the sweetener of your choice until the sauce tastes good to you. (People who don’t eat sugar, will be more sensitive to the taste and need less than others who eat more sugary foods).
- Use organic tomato paste and make it organic barbecue sauce too!
How do I make barbecue sauce without sugar?
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan with about 1 tbsp of sweetener.
- Stir and heat over medium-low heat.
- Taste the sauce and add more sweetener 1 tbsp at a time until it has reached the desired sweetness.
Now that you know how easy it is, you will never need to buy sugar filled barbecue sauce again!
Will kids like sugar free barbecue sauce?
To make it sweet enough that my children still like it I usually add at least ¼ cup of maple syrup or coconut sugar to the sauce.
What tastes good with this barbecue sauce?
You can use this sauce for anything that you like. We like to dip French Fries, Vegan Fried Chicken, or Crispy Fried Tofu in it. You can spread it on sliced tofu and bake it for barbecued tofu. It’s also the perfect sauce to use on my Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwich!
Don’t forget to pin this sugar-free barbecue sauce for later!
A classic tasting barbecue sauce using maple sugar to sweeten and no refined sugar.
Put all the ingredients into a small saucepan except for only 1 tbsp of the sweetener.
Stir well and taste the sauce. Add more sweetener 1 tbsp at a time until the desired level of sweetness is achieved.
Heat over medium-high heat until it starts to boil stirring constantly.
Let the barbecue sauce bubble slowly for about 1 minute to allow the flavors to mix and then turn off heat.
- You can adjust the amount of maple syrup or other sweetener used to your taste.
*Nutrition facts are calculated with 1 tbsp of maple syrup.