Vegan buffalo sauce can be made with 2 basic ingredients - vegan butter and hot sauce. It can be whipped up in about a minute to put over cauliflower wings, vegan chicken, or used as a dip! It really couldn’t be easier to make this spicy hot sauce!
The trick to making the sauce deliciously authentic is using vegan margarine that tastes like butter, not margarine! It simply tastes better with a better-tasting vegan butter.
You can use Earth Balance or other vegan margarine, but my homemade vegan butter just tastes more like real butter, so your buffalo sauce will taste more like the real thing too!
🧾 Ingredients and substitutions
- Vegan Butter - use my vegan butter recipe for the absolute best taste, but if you don't have time to make your own butter, make sure to use a good quality vegan margarine like Miyoko, or Earth Balance (the whipped version also works well). If you use cheap greasy margarine with high water content, your buffalo sauce just won't taste as good.
- Hot Sauce - Most hot sauces are vegan and are just made from cayenne pepper and vinegar. Frank's Red Hot or any equivalent hot sauces work well. Just be sure that you don't get the premixed buffalo sauce, some of the buffalo sauces have dairy, and your sauce will be deluded. (If you like it super spicy, look for the extra hot varieties).
- Garlic Powder - for flavor. (optional)
- Salt - for flavor (optional)
🥄 How to make vegan buffalo sauce
This sauce couldn't be easier.
- Simply place vegan butter in a bowl and microwave for about 45 seconds or place it in a saucepan on the stovetop. Then add hot sauce to the melted butter and stir until blended.
- Add a dash of salt and garlic powder and then give it a stir.
- Now it's ready to pour over deep-fried cauliflower, vegan chicken, seitan wings, tofu fried chicken, or deep-fried tofu.
❓ Is hot sauce vegan?
Most brands of hot sauce are vegan containing only cayenne peppers and vinegar. I cannot promise that every brand out there is vegan, but all that I have come across so far is vegan. The hot sauces do vary in spiciness from brand to brand, so you may have to adjust the recipe slightly to account for that and for your desired spice level.
🍚 Serving Suggestions
Use this sauce to make vegan buffalo chicken sandwiches, fried buffalo cauliflower wings, or baked cauliflower nuggets.
Pour it over seitan wings for authentic-tasting vegan buffalo wings.
Use it as a dipping sauce for the following ...
- Fried Tofu
- Vegan Chicken Nuggets
- Fried Cauliflower
- Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Tofu Fries
- Vegan Zucchini Fries
🌟 Use it to spice up a meal
Buffalo sauce simply gives these recipes a flavorful punch!
❓ How can I control the spiciness?
- To make an extra spicy buffalo sauce: Add a few more tablespoons of hot sauce to make it hotter. (They also sell extra hot versions of hot sauce too, so using one of these will make your buffalo sauce even spicier).
- To make a more mild buffalo sauce: Reduce the hot sauce from 1/3 cup to 1/4 cup and make sure to use the regular hot sauce and not the extra hot.
Store your homemade vegan buffalo sauce in a glass jar or sealed airtight container for up to 1 week.
Tip: To cool off the heat from the buffalo sauce, pair it with vegan ranch dressing for the perfect combo!
This gluten-free plant-based sauce is a great addition that will spice up all of your vegan meals!
🌟 More vegan sauces
We love vegan dipping sauces in my house here are a few of our favorites.
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Orange Sauce
- Vegan Tartar Sauce
- Vegan Honey Mustard
- Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Vegan Honey Garlic Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
📋 Vegan buffalo sauce recipe
The Best Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or vegan margarine like Earth Balance
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1 dash salt (optional)
- Place vegan butter in a bowl and microwave for about 45 seconds or place it in a saucepan on the stovetop. Then add hot sauce to the melted butter and stir.
- Add the hot sauce, garlic powder, and salt.
- Stir with a whisk until hot sauce and butter are completely mixed.
- For a hotter sauce, add 2-3 more tbsp of hot sauce.
- For a milder sauce, add only 1/4 cup of hot sauce.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
*This was originally posted on April 23, 2018. It was updated on January 11, 2021, to include new images and more detailed instructions.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!
What hot sauce do I use ?
You can use Frank's Red Hot or generic equivalent that is similar. If you want it spicier, you can use the extra hot version.
Delicious!! Seriously...this stuff is awesome. I put it on EVERYTHING....my favorite is with your 'chicken' salad. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
Thanks for the recipe!
Thanks Mike! So glad that you like it! It is delicious on those pulled pork sandwiches! 🙂
This sauce is delicious! Making it with your butter really makes a difference! (That really is the best vegan butter ever I've ever tasted) Thanks so much for the recipe! 🙂
You're welcome! I really love that butter too! So happy that you liked it!