This creamy vegan pumpkin bean soup is hearty and delicious. It is full of protein and vitamins and it is gluten free, dairy free, and soy free. It gets rave reviews from the whole family.
Why this recipe works…
- Children and adults, carnivores and vegans, all LOVE it! (I always have people asking me for the recipe every time I make it).
- So simple to make, but tastes like you fussed over it all day.
- It’s one of those meals that I always keep the ingredients on hand, and it can be whipped up quickly.
- Most of the ingredients are canned goods, so this is a great choice on those days when fresh produce is running low.
What if I want my pumpkin bean soup to be chunky?
You can eat this pumpkin bean soup without pureeing it. If you eat it this way, it is like a bean stew with chunks of tomatoes. The pumpkin broth has a nice rich flavor, however, if you want a creamy soup, puree it with an immersion blender or simply use a regular blender. (I use the immersion blender so I don’t have to fuss with transferring hot soup to another container).
Are you feeding picky eaters?
This soup is perfect for picky eaters! Even though I can’t get my eldest son to eat a piece of tomato, he will eat bowl after bowl of this soup never noticing that there is a full can of tomatoes in it!
How can I make this soup creamier?
A dollop of sour cream is the perfect way to top off this soup. You can find vegan sour cream in most big grocery stores or natural foods markets, but I like to save money and use my own homemade vegan sour cream recipe.
Is this soup easy to make?
Yes! This soup is hard to mess up. It comes out great every time.
How do I make creamy pumpkin bean soup?
- Simply saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients to the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender.
- Simmer on low for another 20 minutes to allow all of the flavors to come together.
If using a traditional blender: Puree in small batches! Be very careful to only blend 2 cups at a time so it doesn’t overflow and burn you! Trust me – I’ve done this, it hurts and it’s a mess! (I make this soup so much that I bought my immersion blender for the main purpose of making this soup easier.
- You can use water and just add a little more salt if you don’t have any vegetable broth.
- If you don’t have black beans, any other type of beans will work too.
- Four cups of liquid usually make a good consistency.
- You can adjust the liquid to make the soup thicker or thinner.
Can I make this pumpkin bean soup in the crockpot?
Pumpkin bean soup works great in a slow cooker!
- Just dump all of the ingredients in the crock-pot in the morning. (I usually add an extra 3/4 cup of water if I make it in the crock-pot so it doesn’t get too thick).
- Set to low and let it cook for 6-8 hours.
- Puree before serving.
Don’t forget to pin the creamy vegan pumpkin bean soup recipe it for later!
An easy vegan and gluten-free soup made with pumpkin beans and veggies pureed into a creamy healthy soup.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cans beans rinsed and drained black, white, or kidney beans work well
- 1 16 oz can of pumpkin
- 1 15.5oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vegan sour cream
- In a soup pot, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil.
Add salt and spices and cook on low until the onions are translucent.
Add vegetable broth, pumpkin, beans, and tomatoes.
Simmer for 20 minutes.
Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
Simmer for 20 more minutes.
- This soup works great in the crockpot. Just put in all the ingredients plus an extra 3/4 cup water in the crockpot and cook on low for about 6 hours.
- I usually use black beans, but any cooked bean will work.
- This soup is also good chunky if you don't want to puree it.
- It's delicious with vegan sour cream on top!