This vegan sausage gravy is creamy flavorful comfort food served over your choice of biscuits, toast, or mashed potatoes. Use vegan breakfast sausage, soy chorizo, or spicy Italian-style sausage depending on your mood.
❤️ Why make this recipe
This vegan sausage gravy is perfect for classic vegan biscuits and gravy and turns breakfast toast into a satisfying meal in minutes. Serve over hot drop biscuits for a hearty dinner or pour it over your mashed potatoes for a more flavorful gravy at your next holiday meal.
Whatever way you serve it, this savory southern-style dish will satisfy even picky eaters.
🧾 Ingredients and substitutions
- Cooking Oil - to saute the sausage in. You can use light olive oil, canola oil, or any neutral-flavored oil you like.
- Vegan Sausage - you can use vegan breakfast sausage or Italian sausage. Vegan sausage crumbles work great or you can chop up sausage links into small pieces. Impossible sausage, Beyond Sausage, Field Roast Sausage, and breakfast sausage patties all work well. You can use my homemade seitan sausage, soy chorizo, tofu sausage, or my gluten-free TVP sausage too.
- Green Peppers - optional for a little extra color and flavor.
- Vegan Butter - to make a roux for your gravy. You can also use any neutral-flavored oil that you want.
- Flour - to thicken the gravy. You can also use gluten-free flour or thicken it with cornstarch or arrowroot instead.
- Plant-Based Milk - any vegan milk like soy milk, oat milk, or almond milk. Just be sure to use the plain variety. I like oat milk since it's creamy, but not too sweet. You can also use half vegan milk and half vegetable broth if you choose.
- Herbs - I like to add a little sage and a dash of nutmeg to breakfast sausage and gravy or you can add oregano, rosemary, or thyme to Italian-style sausage gravy.
- Garlic Powder - for extra flavor, you can swap this out for onion powder.
- Salt and Black Pepper - to taste
🔪 Helpful tools
- Frying Pan - any large skillet to fry the vegan sausage will work.
- Whisk - for stirring the non-dairy milk into the roux.
🥄 How to make vegan sausage gravy
Step 1 - Wash and dice a green pepper into small pieces and set aside.
Step 2 - Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil to a large skillet and fry your choice of vegan sausage over medium heat until cooked through and slightly browned. (If using sausage links break them up into small pieces with a wooden spoon while they cook.)
Step 3 - Add 2 tablespoons of vegan butter and the diced bell pepper and cook for another minute.
Step 4 - Sprinkle the sausage and peppers with 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and stir until coated.
Step 5 - Slowly add 2 1/2 cups of oat milk 1/2 cup at a time stirring well between each scoop until the gravy is thick and bubbly.
Step 6 - Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.
✨ Types of sausage gravy
Breakfast Sausage Gravy - You can make this a breakfast style gravy using breakfast sausage and add sage and a dash of nutmeg to season it. This breakfast-style gravy goes great on drop biscuits or toast.
Spicy Sausage Gravy - You can also use spicy Italian-style sausage instead of breakfast sausage in this recipe. When I do this I like to season it with Italian herbs like oregano and basil and serve it over mashed potatoes as a meal. You can even swap out the bell pepper for a jalapeño pepper for a spicier gravy.
❔ How to thicken it with starch
If you want to thicken the gravy without flour, use the starch method. For the starch method, omit the flour and add the milk to the sauteed sausage. Then mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or potato starch with 1/4 cup of cold water until you have a slurry. Pour the slurry into the warm milk and sausage and stir constantly until it bubbles and thickens and season to taste.
❓ How do I make gluten-free gravy?
To make this vegan sausage gravy gluten-free be sure to use a gluten-free variety of vegan sausage like Beyond Meat brand or use my recipes for TVP sausage crumbles or tofu sausage. You will also need to use a grain-based gluten-free flour mix instead of traditional flour or use the starch method to thicken the gravy.
🥡 Storage and reheating
Refrigerate: Leftover sausage gravy will keep well in the refrigerator for 3 - 5 days in an airtight container.
Freeze: Vegan sausage gravy freezes well and can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: Reheat the gravy in the microwave for about 3 minutes or add a few tablespoons of water and reheat it in a saucepan on the stovetop.
🌟 More recipes you'll love
- How to Make Vegan Gravy in Any Flavor
- Vegan White Gravy
- Vegan Brown Gravy
- Bechamel Sauce
- Vegan Brown Butter
- Vegan Garlic Butter
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
📋 Vegan sausage gravy recipe
Vegan Sausage Gravy
- 1 (14 oz) package vegan sausage (or about 2 cups sausage crumbles)
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup green pepper (diced or 1 medium pepper, optional)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups oat milk (or other Plant-Based plain flavored milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon herbs of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional
- Wash and dice a green pepper into small pieces and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of cooking oil to a large skillet and fry your choice of vegan sausage over medium heat until cooked through and slightly browned. (If using sausage links break them up into small pieces with a wooden spatula while they cook.)
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegan butter and the diced bell pepper and cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle the sausage and peppers with 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour and stir until coated.
- Slowly add 2 1/2 cups of oat milk 1/2 cup at a time stirring well between each scoop until the gravy is thick and bubbly.
- Season with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!