These vegan sausage crumbles are perfect for vegan sausage pizza, pasta sauce, Italian-style meals, or soups! It's so simple to make your own homemade vegan sausage from TVP!
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- TVP sausage is super easy to make!
- It tastes great on or in just about any savory dish that you would want a sausage flavor.
- You can adjust the spice level or herbs that you put in to suit your taste.
- It saves you a ton of money when you make your own!
🧾 Ingredients and substitutions
- Water- or low-sodium broth for more flavor if you choose.
- Soy Sauce - for flavor. You can use also use Bragg's Liquid Amino or Tamari instead.
- Oil - any neutral-flavored cooking oil will work.
- Salt - just a little for flavor.
- Oregano - or an Italian herb mix.
- Fennel Seeds - for flavor. Fennel seeds are important to give the vegan sausage crumbles an authentic flavor.
- Cayenne - just a dash for some spice.
- TVP - stands for textured vegetable protein. This is a dehydrated soy product that has a meaty texture and flavor when rehydrated. You can find it at most major grocery stores or order it online. Read my post all about TVP for more information.
❔What can I use instead of TVP?
If you don't have TVP you can use tofu instead. You won't need as much water since tofu is already hydrated. Be sure to follow my tofu sausage crumble recipe if you want to substitute tofu.
🥄 How to make TVP sausage crumbles
Make the sausage-flavored broth
- Put boiling water, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, (or soy sauce), some spices, and oil in a heat-safe mixing bowl and give it a stir.
Re-hydrate the TVP
- Add the textured vegetable protein (TVP) to the broth and stir it around.
- Let it sit for about 3-4 minutes to soak up the broth.
If using the TVP sausage for pizza
Sprinkle on pizza before cooking. No need to precook it. It will cook along with the pizza.
If adding it to sauces or soups
Cook in a skillet - Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the bottom of a skillet and fry over medium heat for about 5 minutes until a little crispy and slightly browned.
🍕 How to make a vegan sausage pizza
- Use your favorite vegan pizza crust recipe or buy a pre-made one from the store to make it fast and easy.
- For a gluten-free crust option, we love to use my low-carb pizza crust made with tofu instead of grain. I also love this easy quinoa crust recipe from Simply Quinoa. (I usually double the quinoa crust recipe to make enough for my family of four).
- Top with about 1/2 cup of vegan pizza sauce. (This will vary depending on the size of your pizza).
- Sprinkle on your favorite vegan pizza cheese.
- Then sprinkle with the vegan sausage topping!
- Bake at 425° F for about 12-15 minutes until the crust is cooked and the cheese is melted. (You can put the oven to broil for the last 2 minutes of the cooking to get the cheese melted completely and the sausage slightly crispy).
🌟 More vegan sausage recipes
✨ More TVP recipes
- Vegan Bacon Bits
- Mock Tuna
- Vegan Tuna Sandwiches
- Vegan Bolognese with Veggies
- TVP Tacos
- Vegan Ground Beef
- Vegan Sausage Rolls
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
Vegan Sausage Crumbles - For Pizza, Pasta, and Lasagna
For the vegan sausage crumbles
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce (soy sauce is not gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon canola or mild tasting oil- for a richer flavor (optional)
- ½ teaspoon oregano flakes or 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- ½ cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
For the Pizza
- 1 large pizza crust use a premade or your favorite recipe
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce of choice
- 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
For the vegan sausage
- Boil the water.
- In a bowl add Braggs, oil, oregano, fennel seeds, cayenne, salt, and boiling water. Stir well.
- Add TVP, stir, and then let it sit for about 2 minutes before stirring it 1 more time.
Assemble the pizza
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Place the pizza crust on a cookie sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread vegan pizza sauce evenly over the dough.
- Top with your favorite vegan cheese.
- Sprinkle with the sausage toppings.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) until the pizza is cooked. Usually about 12-15 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil for the last 2 minutes of baking to melt the cheese and crisp up the sausage.
- This makes an Italian-flavored sausage. You can add different spices to achieve the flavor of other sausages if you would rather have a different flavor.
- Adjust the spiciness by adding slightly more or less cayenne pepper.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!