These cute little vegan corn dog bites are a fun appetizer, snack, or lunch for vegan kids and anyone who is a kid at heart! Baked in mini muffin tins, you get all the flavor of corn dogs without the mess and since they are baked not fried, they're a healthier alternative too!
My kids have always been intrigued by corndogs, but they could never have one because even the vegetarian varieties at the store were not vegan or gluten-free. I attempted to make them a few times, but it was always a lot of work and messy without great results. So I decided that it would be easier to bake them in muffin tins, and they were a hit!
❤️ You'll love this recipe because it's
- fun to make and fun to eat!
- gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free, so nearly everyone can enjoy them.
- perfect for appetizers, picnics, or kids' lunches.
- delicious dipped in a variety of vegan sauces.
- the perfect bite-sized snack!
🧾 Ingredients and substitutions
- Cornmeal - any cornmeal will work. I usually use basic yellow cornmeal. Make sure to buy gluten-free if needed.
- Flour - you can use all-purpose white flour, whole wheat, or a general gluten-free flour mix. I usually use my own all-purpose gluten-free flour recipe or a store-bought gluten-free mix.
- Baking Powder - to make them rise a little.
- Sea Salt - for flavor. You can also add a dash of garlic powder or onion powder to the batter for a little more flavor.
- Sugar - for flavor. You can use any sweetener you wish like coconut sugar, agave, or maple syrup, or leave it out completely if you wish.
- Oil - to make them moist. Use canola oil or light olive oil for a neutral flavor.
- Vegan Hot Dogs - Tofu Pups, Smart Dogs, Tofurkey Hot Dog, or any type of veggie dog works well. The types that come in packs of 5 instead of 8 are slightly larger and work a little better. You will need about 3 of these large hot dogs.
- Spray Oil - to grease the muffin tins so you can get them out easily.
🔪 Helpful tools
- Mini Muffin Tins - for baking the corn dog muffins in.
- Mixing Bowl - for mixing the cornbread batter.
- Whisk - for stirring the batter
- Fancy Toothpicks - for using them as handles to pick up the bites (optional). You can also cut lollipop sticks in half.
🥄 How to make vegan corndog bites
Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Step 2 - Spray the mini muffin tins with spray oil and set aside.
Step 3 - Measure out the dry ingredients for the cornbread batter in a mixing bowl.
Step 4 - Add the wet ingredients and stir well.
Step 5 - Pour the batter into the muffin tins filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
Step 6 - Cut up the vegan hot dogs into about 1/2-inch-sized pieces. (The same length as your tin is deep).
Step 7 - Press the hotdogs into the center of each muffin and stick a toothpick in it.
Step 8 - Bake at 400° F for 18-20 minutes until golden brown.
Step 9 - Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
🌟 Dipping sauces
You can dip them in the standard ketchup or mustard or if you want to get a little fancier, you can use some of our favorite homemade vegan sauces.
These are our favorite sauces to dip the corndogs bits into.
- Vegan Barbecue Sauce
- Vegan Honey Mustard
- The Best Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Plant-Based Chick Fil A Sauce
- Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Vegan Honey
✨ More vegan hot appetizers
- Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
- Vegan Sausage Rolls
- Polenta Pizza Bites
- Vegan Spinach Balls
- Fried Oyster Mushrooms
- Tofu Fries
- Zucchini Fries
- Deep Fried Cauliflower
📌 Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for new vegan recipes!
📋 Vegan corndog bite recipe
Vegan Corn Dog Bites
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (use gluten-free if needed).
- 3/4 cup flour (use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix if needed).
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil canola oil or light olive oil works best.
- 3 large vegan hot dogs
- 1 spray oil
- Heat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Spray the mini muffin tins with spray oil and set aside.
- Measure out the dry ingredients for the cornbread batter in a mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins filling them about 3/4 of the way full.
- Cut up 3 large vegan hot dogs in about 1/2 inch pieces. (The same length as the tin is deep).
- Press the hotdogs into the center of each muffin and stick a toothpick in it.
- Bake at 400°F (200°C) for 18-20 minutes.
- Serve with a dipping sauce of choice.
- Make sure to oil the muffin tins so they come out easier.
- Add a 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum to the batter if you are using a gluten-free mix that does not contain any. (This will keep the muffin from crumbling).
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Click the stars above or leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you!